Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electronic Handbrake

valentino46

whats the general concensus of opinion regarding the electronic handbrake,? I am happy with the new car [,2012]...but if the thing is going to cost £1600 to replace, when the warrantee runs out it might be too expensive .

well, I prefer a good old-fashioned one ...

However, you can stay in warranty for 7 years & iirc it's usually ~£1100 rather than £1600 for replacement if needed?

We just don't know how prevalent it is, people with a problem are always far more likely to post than those that don't so a forum like this can seem to magnify a statistically small problem..

I must say I had a T25 from new and the handbrake was never brilliant, I now have a T27 CVT and wouldn't use it at first, actuators failing and all that but I use it all the time now and I drive a taxi, my car has done 80k and it gets used all the time...no problems people only report problems, if some started a thread about how my handbrake worked when I used it no one would read it, I would use a Toyota for a taxi any day, not anything French or a Ford and definitely not a Vauxhall, be thankful for the choice made, that's what I say, and I should know!

Good point Scott,i too would have preferred the old set up. but as you say ,i could , if i still like the car in 4 years time,buy an extended warrantee.

I must admit on my CVT I was just putting it into Park and not using the handbrake for the first month...thought this is silly as its probably not doing the auto gearbox any favors when on a slight incline....so I now use it all the time....I still have slightly over 3 years warranty left and would extend that as and when...!

By the way does anyone know how much that costs?

Cheers!

Not atm, They used to have it on their website but no longer.

I did enquire when I bought my "new to me" car recently but the dealer said that he couldn't sell me an extended warranty until the original one was running out.

I also phoned Toyota direct & they were of no use on this either.