Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.4 Space Saver Bought

paulmel

Am now a more "at ease" driver as have just picked up a space saver spare wheel for my Rav

Quoted 4 to 6 week wait turned out to be 2 days !

Cost £145 for wheel with tyre, didn't require other bits (jack, brace or nuts)

Wasn't going to pay the quoted £55 + VAT for a jack in a million years

• Like 2

Good to see that they are available now at a 'reasonable' cost for those unlucky enough not to have been originally supped with their new cars. Mr T should just do a direct exchange for the gunk and compressor.

Bloody disgrace having to pay for a spare wheel in the first place, lining the coffers of such a safety based organisation who were good enough to give us the World War 2 Runflat System...........

£145 is not a bad price - if you accept that it should cost anything at all!

Presume this price was Toyota's ?

Chis

Yes, local dealership (was Batemans, now Vantage)

Peace of mind £145 gave me was worth it

Hi Paul.

It`s great to see you have sorted the dreaded `spare wheel ` problem.

As a new owner of a 2013 rav4 icon 2.2 d4d I have to ask if the wheels fitted to your invincible are as described in the toyota brochure and website. which would mean that they are 18in like mine. I too dont want to rely on the ridiculous puncture outfit and want to sort an alternative, preferably a full size 18in & tyre to match, but I know it wont fit in the place where it ought to be so a space saver looks to be the only answer, (better than nothing at least)

What size is the space saver? Iv`e seen the conversations about the steel 17in space saver but not heard of an 18in version.

If it is a 17in space saver how does it compare in cicumference to the 18in that you would end up with on 3 wheels if you were unfortunate enough to have to use it. Also will it fit in the well under the rear `floor` without to much modification

The spacesaver is 17" but the rolling circumference suits the 18" wheel/tyre combo

Kingo :thumbsup:

null_zpsd78ded3a.jpg

It's a 17'' steel wheel with a 165-80/17 Yokohama tyre.

It's less than 1'' in diameter smaller so nothing to worry about.

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference

235/55-18 5.1in 14.1in 28.2in 88.5in 716 0.0%

165/80-17 5.2in 13.7in 27.4in 86.1in 736 -2.8%

• Like 2

Thanks for your very helpful replies guys,

I think you have solved the problem for me and lots of others who must be thinking along the same lines, I SHALL DEFINATELY be looking into this as soon as I find time to visit my dealer.

One more question , to fit the space saver as in the piccy above (very good piccy) , what mod have you done to the boot floor?, `cos it looks like when I remove the plastic bits in order to fit the wheel the `f`loor` won`t be big enough cos there will be nothing to lower it onto. and does the `Screw` to hold the wheel in place come supplied as part of the wheel/tyre deal

Terry, my RAV came supplied like this so no mods carried out by me. The screw is EOM.

Thanks for your reply David,

I guess what I`ve got to do now is see what holds all the plastic gubbins that houses the puncture repair kit, and see how easy it is to remove it so I end up with the same shape and size as your car boot.

I would think it`s only screwed in , and then remove the carpet lining to make room for the spare .

Have to see mr T for the holding screw and probably make a new boot floor if there is anything left for it to rest on,( unless of course I can order one at a reasonable price Ha Ha I do like my little jokes)

But seriously it should structurally be the same as all the others including yours that was supplied with a spare instead of that ridiculous can of goo.

is the tyre in the pic a `normal`tyre or is it a tempory one I can`t see in the pic that it say`s for tempory use only and I thought that all tempory tyres stated as such

It's stamped 'for temporary use only' so I presume that means 50 miles at 50 mph.

Thanks for that David,

will see what holds it all together tomorrow, and find time to see mr T for a price,

Many thanks to all you guys for taking the time to answer all my queeries.

Hope you and all forum members have a good christmas

Terry

• Like 3

Pound to a pinch of excrement that when the gubbins are stripped out of yer Paul Daniel's spare wheel well ( so named coz the spare just disappeared.....), you will find a threaded recepticle for the retaining bolt to hold yer spare down. Forget MrT input........that piece of pish never even gave you a spare fgs.........get yer own retaining bolt and proceed from there by soundproofing that bloody great boom box of a resonating area.

HI Kevin

thanks for your input on this and yes your right Mr t has given us nothing in return for brand loyalty and a big wedge of hard earned cash..

went to see dealer this morning and he recons he needs a reg. no. or a vin no. for a RAV 4 2013 that was supplied with a space saver cos he cant find find the part no for the space saver wheel and tyre without it.

He said if he inputs myreg. no. there would not be a space saver listed as it was not supplied with one from the factory, so can I supply him with that info, and then he can source the part no. and order it.

I was hoping that maybe someone on here might be able to help me out by preferably giving me the part no.

I live in hope

regards to all Terry

I would have though Kingo would be able to get the part number.

Thanks David,

yes I think he`s probably my best bet for this info have to p.m. if he doesnt read this but you never know I may be lucky

• 4 weeks later...

Would this space saver fit my 2011 Toyota Rav4 D-Cat SR ?

Yes ... both use the same fixing pattern and 18" wheel size so it would fit - as a space saver, of course, with the associated limitations on speed and distance in use. It will serve just as well on a 4.3[.5] as it does on a 4.4. ;)

When I bought my 4.4 I told the salesman that I wanted a proper spare and not a can of gunk. He told me that it was a bit of a lottery as to what was fitted when the cars arrived. Needless to say, mine arrived with a can of gunk.

He waited until a demo arrived with a proper spare and then swapped everything over for me at no charge so I now have a spacesaver.

Presumably he wants me to come back again next time I want a new car?

...........and presumes the buyer of the donor car is an eejit who forgets to check or ask about a spare, and has to pay for one later ?

Car salesmen.............jam tomorrow........

I have tried to get a space saver for my 2013 Rav which came with the tyre repair kit. Dealer say can't be done not available. Spoke to Toyota UK who said not possible and advised against it because the welds on the models supplied with the TRK are different and it would be unsafe to fit. Customer service at its worst and hard to believe. Just have to hope any punctures are fixable with the gunk supplied. Rubbish design by Toyota if true.

I have just had two replies in regards to space saver wheels for the 4.3 and the 4.4 from Toyota UK. First reply was what you would expect, so I sent another email to them and received another reply.

Basically I am VERY disappointed with Toyota !!!!!

It's all in the replies, so please read (I have cut and pasted this in, so I hope it still looks ok):

Dear Mr McLeish

Thank you for your recent email dated 10 January 2014 and for taking the time

and trouble to contact Toyota.

I would like to apologise for the problems you have experienced

and any frustration or inconvenience that this matter may have caused.

I have investigated your enquiry with our Parts Department and

they have advised that we are unable to supply a space saver wheel for your
vehicle. Some customer have chosen to
purchase a full size wheel and have kept it in their boot however, this is not
something we at Toyota (GB) PLC
can recommend as there is no fixation bracket to hold the wheel in place when
driving.

In regards to your request to contact Toyota motor corporation (TMC) in Japan,

you are welcome to contact our Japanese Head Office but as they are not english
speaking they will refer your letter back to the UK to respond on their behalf.

In closing, thank you for taking the time to contact ‘/Toyota and for bringing this matter to our attention. I am sorry that I cannot afford you a more

positive response but trust I have answered the question raised in your email.

Yours sincerely

Chris Clayton

Customer
Relations Executive

THE SECOND REPLY after I asked if the space saver wheel for the 4.4 Rav (if it exists) would be suited for my 4.3 Rav, but the commit and advise nothing apart from that there is not suitable fixings in the boot to secure the wheel, so cannot comment.

Dear Mr McLeish

Thank you for your follow up email regarding your Toyota Rav4.

Toyota (GB) PLC

cannot release a product, accessory or part before it has been through a
process of homologation. This process is
outlined by the Ministry of Transport and provides information to monitor the
performance of our vehicles and fitted parts.

As mentioned by my colleague in our previous response the design

of your car does not allow for a spare wheel to be secured within the boot
area. In addition, as this component has not been homologated and tested to the
previous vehicle regretfully we are unable to advise of its compatibility.

I am sorry we are unable to respond in a more positive manner

and I realise our response will come as a further disappointment to you.

Yours sincerely

George Radanov

Customer Relations Executive

I have just had two replies in regards to space saver wheels for the 4.3 and the 4.4 from Toyota UK. First reply was what you would expect, so I sent another email to them and received another reply.

Basically I am VERY disappointed with Toyota !!!!!

It's all in the replies, so please read (I have cut and pasted this in, so I hope it still looks ok):

Dear Mr McLeish

Thank you for your recent email dated 10 January 2014 and for taking the time

and trouble to contact Toyota.

I would like to apologise for the problems you have experienced

and any frustration or inconvenience that this matter may have caused.

I have investigated your enquiry with our Parts Department and

they have advised that we are unable to supply a space saver wheel for your

vehicle. Some customer have chosen to

purchase a full size wheel and have kept it in their boot however, this is not

something we at Toyota (GB) PLC

can recommend as there is no fixation bracket to hold the wheel in place when

driving.

In regards to your request to contact Toyota motor corporation (TMC) in Japan,

you are welcome to contact our Japanese Head Office but as they are not english

speaking they will refer your letter back to the UK to respond on their behalf.

In closing, thank you for taking the time to contact ‘/Toyota and for bringing this matter to our attention. I am sorry that I cannot afford you a more

positive response but trust I have answered the question raised in your email.

Yours sincerely

Chris Clayton

Customer

Relations Executive

THE SECOND REPLY after I asked if the space saver wheel for the 4.4 Rav (if it exists) would be suited for my 4.3 Rav, but the commit and advise nothing apart from that there is not suitable fixings in the boot to secure the wheel, so cannot comment.

Dear Mr McLeish

Thank you for your follow up email regarding your Toyota Rav4.

Toyota (GB) PLC

cannot release a product, accessory or part before it has been through a

process of homologation. This process is

outlined by the Ministry of Transport and provides information to monitor the

performance of our vehicles and fitted parts.

As mentioned by my colleague in our previous response the design

of your car does not allow for a spare wheel to be secured within the boot

area. In addition, as this component has not been homologated and tested to the

previous vehicle regretfully we are unable to advise of its compatibility.

I am sorry we are unable to respond in a more positive manner

and I realise our response will come as a further disappointment to you.

Yours sincerely

George Radanov

Customer Relations Executive

This is unfortunately the only response you will ever get, as the Rav 4.3 never had the option to install an internal mounted spare wheel Toyota will never give you advice on doing so, to do so would be corporate suicide as should you ever be involved in an accident and god forbid the insecure wheel flies around the cabin causing death or injury, you or your passengers could sue Toyota for advising it was possible.

On the 4.4 fitting a spare is easier as the boot floor has a hole to fit it, but again cars that where supplied with out a spare do not have a bracket welded onto the boot floor to allow a bolt to hold the wheel in nor a bracket to hold the jack, again for the same reasons as above Toyota will never advise you that it is OK to fit it.

At my dealer we have supplied and fitted several spare wheel kits to a 4.4 but we will only do so if the bracket it correctly welded to the floor.

Litigation & the blame/claim culture has but a stop to any non approved work being done as no one can afford the potential outcomes of getting it wrong.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links