Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T Sport - Age, Track Days And Red Lines

marc4242

It's struck me recently that most of the time I'm driving really sensibly. Sedately in fact. Maybe I'm just getting old.

My previous car was a Mk2 MR2 NA and a Mk2 MR2 V6 (an engine swap job). The pair of MR2s, together, was my 'sensible car', but I wanted something peformant and yet sensible in the sense that I could carry a decent amount of luggage (although a MK2 MR2 isn't bad, it's the Mk3 I think it is not so good in that respect).

So I looked at various options (before the MR2s I had a VW VR6) including the Honda Civic Type R. I then had kind of settled on a Seat Leon, test drove one an decided that speed came a bit too easily and I would fear for the cleanliness of my licence! I sold my V6 MR2 before I sold my vanilla 2 litre NA one, and the reason for that is the 2 litre Mk2 has a lovely sound, driving position,

height, looks (albeit old) and it's revvy .... but not a quick car at all in today's terms, so I could change gears endlessly and rev away, but not be going very fast!! So that's how I came to choose the T Sport, fast enough but not too fast that get points every year.

I love the T Sport, it is a character car, it has odd flaws such as strange spacing in the gearbox and I cannot seem to use the clutch properly in traffic, and I like 'whoosh' (or is it called 'lift'?).

The problem is, as I said at the start, I'm not all making use of the performance of the car. It's about the same performance as my old MR2 on paper, and as it's now had a couple of paint scrapes (me

reversing out of my own driveway) I think it's time to take it on track once in a while, who else does this and how do you get on with it? What is the redline rpm, it looks like 8200 on the tacho? At what rpm does the rev limiter kick in? Where is peak torque?

Marc