Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rotational Noise From Front Wheel

paulybrad

Hi, I have an Avensis D4D T4 year 07 plate, two weeks ago I started to hear a rotational noise from the front wheel (maybe drivers side). It is rotational as the noise speeds up the faster I go.

So far I have:

1) replace both front discs
2) replaced both brake pads
3) checked that guard was not fouling

4) Changed front drivers side tyre (was warn on outside)

On carrying out the above listed work I spun and tried to waggle the wheels and no noise nor movement other than the normal local scratchy sound from the disc rubbing the new pads.

I have been right under the car and turned the drive shaft to see if it was hard to turn at certain points between the full 360 degrees, it was easy to turn, also no grinding sounds could be heard from the CV or drive shaft joints.

I don't want to spend between £100 to £200 on replacing the bearings (would do my self but I don't have a press). As they sound ok.

When the wheel is lifted off the floor the bearing is under minimal stress but when driving it has all the forces acting on it so it could still be the bearing - do you agree?

Any ideas?

Cheers Paul

Have you had the tyres checked for uneven wear or blocking.

Hi FROSTYBALLS,

Just had a new tyre fitted yesterday, drivers side front, and the passenger tyre is only 4 months old and looks even wear. However the tyre I got replaced was near bald on the outside but about 5mm in the middle. If this helps your thought mode.

Cheers Paul

Hi Raistlin,

I will get the tracking done tomorrow and write back on this post if it resolves the noise.

Another observation is that I can feel the vibration from the noise on the accelerator peddle.

Cheers Paul

what's the mileage, my bearings need doing at about 90k,which was a bit disappointing one went about 10k before the other but the drone just got louder as time went by

Hi Pauljj,

The mileage is also just over 90K. I think it is the bearings aswell, my only doubt is that I have done bearing on other cars (Fords) and when they go you know by jacking up the wheel and you can feel movement and it grinds when you rotate the wheel. I don't see any of these symptons on my Avensis.

I will get the tracking done this afternoon as it need doing anyway due to the positive camber issue with it balding on the outside, if this does not resolve it I will start obtaining prices for changing the bearings. I know the part is £30, I was going to ring a few garages to see what they would charge if I took the part and the hub to press out old for new?, this way the majority of the labour would be done by me.

Any way i will keep you all updated.

Cheers Paul.

Hi Guys,

Took car to garage for tracking check and heath check, he said no problem with tracking. He checked the bearings as well and thought they were ok.

However he did take it for a drive and he also heard the noise but said it was not loud enough for him to diagnose, but thought that it could be the gear box mounts as he felt vibration on the clutch pedel. He suggest I keep driving until it get worst or louder and then return it back to the garge for further diagnostic.

In the mean time I got a great price for the breaings supplied and fitted for £75 each.

any thoughts on the above?

How far up do you have to let the clutch pedal go before the clutch engages? If it's nearly all the way up, the clutch is worn and will need to be replaced.

Vibration only with the clutch engaged may be an indication the throwout bearing is bad, but I'd suspect there is something else unbalanced in the driveline. Do you observe any vibration or shaking when coasting with the transmission in a gear? When in neutral instead? If you put the transmission in neutral, let the clutch in, and rev the engine briefly?

When you say 'not smooth when pressed down' -- do you mean the feel of the travel, or that there is vibration or some other feeling due to the engine's rotation?

Hi Raistlin,

The clutch pedel engages about 1/2 way up.

The vibration from the noise (rotational) can be felt on both the clutch pedel and accelerator pedal but more so when the clutch is fully down, this could be because the pedal and foot is in contact with the floor, and is vibrating through the chassie.

Yet the vibration/ noise is still heard and felt when the clutch is engaged and coasting, and when in neutral - no change.

At did try letting the clutch in and reving the engine this morning on the way to work whilst traveling at 60mph and no change.

The clutch engages fine and has been for the 3 years I have had the car, you can just feel it more on the foot when fully down, I think for the reasons intimated earlier in this post.

I don't like the thought of driving it until it gets worse. :driving::disgust:

cheers,

Paul.

Silly question maybe ?are the tyres rotational by that i mean they should only be fitted and rolling in the direction of the arrows,i have known rotational tyres to be put on the wrong way round causing something similar.

• 1 month later...

Hi the problem was the drivers side wheel bearing. It is now fixed.

• 7 years later...

Hello, I have a rotational noise when driving at any speed, it gets louder the longer it’s running. It’s more apparent when accelerating, now I hear it when turning the steering wheel. I spent 4 hours with the mechanic today and had a full service. He can’t locate the noise. It’s like a buffering or flat tyre noise. It’s always present now, only it started about 4 weeks ago 🤷‍♀️
any ideas I’d be grateful for.

Has he checked for play in the hub wheel bearings?  They can wear out and suffer from lack of lubrication.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links