Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Tyre Question

ferret51

Hi

Has anyboby fitted 235/70/15 tyres on their Rav in place of the 235/60/15 tyres that are fitted as standard as Ive been offered a set at a good price,but if they affect the car badly in any way I'll give them a miss

Thanks

Les

Cannae see a problem, Les, maybe in fact an improvement by virtue of tyre wall increasing in height...........helps ride the potholed roads we pay a fortune for. Wife's winter tyres change it from 55 to 65 and smoothes oot the bumps a wee bit.

As far as I'm aware the 70 profile tyre will have a larger diameter, and will slow the speedometer (ie the speedo will show a slightly lower speed) - which may not matter as the majority of speedos over-read. Bear in mind that it is illegal for the speedo to under-read - and show a speed lower than you're actually doing.

Ok, your speedo will misread by -7.1% and you will also lose quite a bit of acceleration.

At 30 mph you will be doing 32 and at 70 mph you will be doing 75.

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference

235/60-15 5.6in 13.1in 26.1in 82.0in 773 0.0%

235/70-15 6.5in 14.0in 28.0in 87.8in 722 7.1%

Thanks for the speedy reply's,my concern is with it being an auto and any adverse effects as I'm a bit wary knowing the problems that the auto ravs of the same year as mine seem to have,and for just a tad more I can get a set of bridgestones where the others where two pirrelis and two goodyear,and I would prefer the same back and front....oh decisions decisions !!!

On both my Avensis the speedos have over read by ~7% on the standard tyres so if your RAV is the same this would put you yours pretty much spot on (if you are in the habit of allowing for that speedo difference you would have to remember that there no longer was one).

Your insurance company would probably also need to be informed & they may vary your premium.

Just read the last reply from GreyRacer and the last thing I want is to lose any acceleration as I've just come from a Honda civic 1.7 vtec coupe and I miss the performance as it is,looks like the its the Bridgestones then.....And thanks for the help,all sorted in the time it took to make a coffee and saved me maybe dropping a b****ck

Cheers

Les

Thanks for the speedy reply's,my concern is with it being an auto and any adverse effects as I'm a bit wary knowing the problems that the auto ravs of the same year as mine seem to have,and for just a tad more I can get a set of bridgestones where the others where two pirrelis and two goodyear,and I would prefer the same back and front....oh decisions decisions !!!

I would go for the peace of mind the Bridgestones offer. Any savings on the others would be wiped out by any problems should they arise.

David

Anywayhowz, Les........avoid Pirellis IMHO..........what a blessed racket they make at motorway speeds. Anything from 50mph upwards and you need heavy rock on the radio to offset. Bridgestones APPARENTLY slightly noisier than Yokohamas.

Well thats it the Bridgestones are on their way,and as you say David it will give me peace of mind,any problems and I would be thinking"what if" !! there for my summer wheels anyway (if we get one) I seem to be spending some money on this !Removed! car ;) twin exhaust next if the lotterys kind,or someone you all know decides to sell his wifes !!!!!

Les

• Like 1

I am selling my wife's, Les, but she is keeping her Rav.........

• Like 1