Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Spare Wheel

sproutdreamer

Used my spare wheel for the first time and amazed to find that the wheelnuts for the alloy wheels do not properly fit the steel rim for the spare wheel. Fortunately I only needed to go a few (careful) miles to get a new tyre fitted but it would have not been safe to use for any distance or speed as the nuts for the alloys fit inside the holes in the alloys but on the steel rims they just mate up in the wheel nut recess leaving about 2" of the nut sticking out and very little thread holding the wheel on and it may be possible to strip threads when trying to get it tight enough. This will be well known to many on here but will be a surprise to some and is worth knowing about.

yup, steel & alloy wheels use different nuts.

You are lucky that you have a spare - they now seem to have gone over to a puncture repair kit (sealant+compressor).

I got a set of Toyota Steel wheels which are fitted with winter tyres, I just use one those as a full size spare. I obtained wheel nuts from this company http://www.mistertee.co.uk/

Space/money savers are a joke, try using one to travel 300miles across France on a Sunday.

An easy and safe solution is to get hold of a second hand alloy wheel and tyre, it will fit in the spare wheel well,

you just need a longer bolt to make it fully secure.

Pete.

Hi guys,

Ive got a brand new / unused 8 spoke Alloy wheel with new / unused GOODYEAR EAGLE 215/50/17

It was bought to replace the space saver on a 2007 Avensis 2.0ltr d4d T3X .but has never been fitted,

it`s now cluttering up the garage so any one who wants to make me a sensible offer send me a p.m.