Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4X4 Problem

alan3625

hi all i am new here and woulld like some help i put my hilux into 4 wheel drive but had no drive to the front wheels although the prop shaft seamed to be turning any tell where to start

Welcome to TOC Alan :)

Could well be Alan, my old 51 plate Hilux didn`t have them but I dunno when they changed over, but it still could be your problem ie they`re not locking

Just found this on the Hilux forum...

`MK1-4 (up to 2001 2.4TD) have manual locking hubs. MK5> (D4D engine) have the ADD (automatic disconnecting differential) system and you don't need to get out of the cab to lock in the hubs`

Also from the forum...

` if you put it in four wheel drive and park up, get underneath and you shouldn't be able to turn either prop shaft by hand. If this is the case then the transfer box is doing it's job. The problem is the automatic hubs on the front aren't engaging. My guess would be that the wiring/ vacuum pipes to the front diff are damaged or loose`

• Like 1

the front prop shaft was engaging the wheels just did not turn do you know of any where i can get more info on the auto hub system thank you for you time

• 8 months later...

Auto hubs are usually engaged and dis engaged via a vacum through the activation of a solinoid, either your hubs are poked or the solinoid is. regardless change them to an aftermarket manuel hub they are stronger and more reliable, just means you have to get off your bum to change over.