Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Leak

voodoocars

Are there any common fuel leak areas on a 1996 model? The mother in law has told me there is a leak underneath and her son has had a look and broken off a breather pipe apparently. It was leaking before that. I noticed a fuel smell a few weeks ago but couldnt see anything at the time. So before I go and put it right I want to be clued up.

Quite probable that the fuel filler pipe has rotted.

Bothy is the expert on how to sort that one.

Interestingly, the same problem [if that is what has happened to M-I-L's car] has been reported a few times now on post '06 RAVs. The protective shroud under the wheel arch collects crud and is obviously causing/allowing corrosion to take effect.

I had the plastic guard off and the filler pipe is totally rotten. The pipe the her son broke off was the breather. Looking at the price of these parts I will have to construct one from rubber hoses.

I had the plastic guard off and the filler pipe is totally rotten. The pipe the her son broke off was the breather. Looking at the price of these parts I will have to construct one from rubber hoses.

Not teaching 'egg sucking' here I hope, but do make sure that whatever you use is rated for the appropriate fuel.................

Ive got some plastic straws you can have !!

Waste of good straws. I'm sure you could cobble something suitable up for Mama with Tesco bags?

Well you've found the problem. Its more common I think than people realise. The plastic cover does hold crud as said - shame it wasn't sealed properly when manufactured.

If you are making up a pipe, be careful of the diameter of the plastic or rubber pipe you use. I made up a reinforced plastic filler pipe, pipe able to be used with petrol. Sealing the pipe at the top end is easy but sealing the joint at the lower end is tricky - it needs to be a good tight seal. I warmed the plastic pipe to bend it into shape. However it was too big to get the plastic shroud back on. After a few years of running it, the garage discovered the pipe had suffered a little abrasion from the tyre. However that got sorted when I bought a set of wheels with slightly more off-set.

The breather is normally the first pipe to rot as its thinner metal and a thinner pipe....its also much easier to replace with a plastic pipe.

Take care working near the tank for obvious reasons, and also that the pipes around the tank may be brittle/rusted a bit. The top of the tank gets hit with muck as well.

I also had the exact same trouble with a 1994 Previa I owned.

Anyone point me in the direction of a supplier of suitable pipe or hose. I have had a quick look for suppliers in Coventry but nothing yet.

By the way- does anyone know the diameter of the filler neck pipe?

Can't help with diameter of pipe but have you tried agricultural engineers/supplies for suitable tubing?

I think I used a company called Hydrasun. Search for any company who sell hoses or hydraulic hoses.

I can't remember the diameter, but I'd taken the pipe off as the car is dangerous to drive in that state. The petrol can slop back up the pipe when driving.

You could order the parts from Parts king on the forum, but they won't be cheap...however they are made for the job. If using a plastic reinforced hose, you would need a larger diameter for it to fit over the remaining filler pipe near the tank. (obviously).

Petrol hoses must be nitrile rubber - silicon, natural rubber etc are unsuitable for contact with liquid petrol. For larger diameters - the sizes go up in steps of 10 -15mm so you may have difficulty getting a good fit. You'll get this sort of hose from commercial fuel parts suppliers but it might work out cheaper to get an original part from Toyota.

I fixed it today. I got hold of 38mm flexible nitrile hose and 15mm id breather hose from a place called Viper motorsport. I cut the rusty parts out and put in the flexi hoses. I managed to fit the plastic cover back on as well. Cost of the pipes was £48 inc delivery. The pipe from toyota was £120+vat. I made a video so i will put it on youtube (how sad..).

I fixed it today. I got hold of 38mm flexible nitrile hose and 15mm id breather hose from a place called Viper motorsport. I cut the rusty parts out and put in the flexi hoses. I managed to fit the plastic cover back on as well. Cost of the pipes was £48 inc delivery. The pipe from toyota was £120+vat. I made a video so i will put it on youtube (how sad..).

Well done Ian, glad you're still here to tell the tale.............

Hmm. The hole was at the back of the pipe where the bracket bolts it to the wheelarch. I could get a couple of fingers in easy so it must have been leaking for some time.

Well done young Sir !

When the car is stationary then you don't get to smell much petrol...its when it being driven that the petrol sloshes about and then the smell gets blown away. I remember when I saw my pipe, the breather had pretty much disintegrated. The filler pipe was as you say holed.

I wonder how many other RAVs are about to suffer the same problem?