Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Issue?

cjt1973

Hi - I've got a 1.4D Yaris, 60 plate. Had it about 6 months then got it serviced when the service light came on (yellow spanner). Within 24 hours of the service the same yellow spanner came on when I had been driving for about 20 minutes. The garage did reset the service light and it's different to the normal service indicator as it comes on and flashes when the engine gets up to temperature.

I rang toyota and they told me to ignore it, it was something to do with the exhaust and it would re-set itself if I carried on driving. But it carried on doing the same thing every time I drove it - even after about a few 90 mile trips. About a week later it has started to come on the same, when it gets up to temperature, but now it comes on constantly rather than flashing.

I read it might be an issue with the DPF and the advice to carry on driving should have reset it, but it doesn't seem to have done it.

I did notice the garage overfilled the oil when they serviced it. They also did a "fuel service" (some kind of additive?) and added some oil system cleaner when they did the service (it was a full service at 40k miles).

Rang toyota again and they are baffled but can't diagnose it for another 10 days and I'm worried I'm damaging it although it is running absolutely fine (possibly a bit lower on fuel efficiency, but I might be imagining that).

Anyone else had a similar issue?

They also used part-synthetic oil having claimed to have looked it up on the Castrol website whereas I thought it needed fully-synthetic. Might be a factor?

It sounds like you need a forced regen, speak to the dealer about this they will need to take the car out with the diagnostic equipment. Are you sure they overfilled the oil? There has been a few issues with the 1.4 d4d engines. Get them to drain the oil to the correct level and monitor it over the next 1000 miles and see if it increases

Alex

There is a known issue with later 1.4 d4d engined cars where after servicing the spanner light keeps illuminating and oil levels start to increase/decrease the bulletin reference is EG-0017T-0411 the issue has been given a warranty extension as well.

Your dealer will have to carry out a very extensive diagnostic process checking: vacuum pump, turbocharger, EGR, injectors, Dpf, cco catalyst and depending on the findings replacing, regening them as well as fitting a modified short block which contains redesigned pistons and rings.

Whilst waiting for your appointment keep a very close eye on the oil level and if it keeps dropping or increasing stop driving and have the car taken to the dealer as ultimately the oil can end up being sucked into the engine causing it to "run away" and possibly causing severe damage to the engine.

With regards the oil type used semi synthetic is absolutely fine so long as the oil used meets the C2 oil specification meaning it is suitable for Dpf equipped engines.

Could you italian tuneup it? Blow all the smoke out the back, get the engine good and hot, take it on the motorway, bring it up to 3000rpm or at least drive at your normal speeds at no higher than 4th gear for a good while?

When I first got my Yaris D4D I found it started to lose performance slowly over time as I was doing 99% slow speed city driving. On the suggestion of others here, gave it a good long motorway blast and that seemed to do it good.

Since then I have found that taking my Yaris D4D on a good hoon now and then, and also feeding it some V-Power diesel on occasion, seems to be keeping it nice and healthy. The engine feels noticeably looser and free-revving after I do that so I feel that it is doing some good!

Cyker that is good advice for the future but as Devon said there is more than likely an underlying issue here. I take it the car has a full service history? How many miles are on the clock. It is a lot more strict testing than the ad engine issue.

Alex

Yeah, didn't see his post until after I posted!

Devon is one of our few 'insiders' so he tends to have a better line on stuff like this than us peons :D

It's good that there is an advisory tho' - Gives a more clear cut direction to go down than the usual 'try this' stuff we tend to resort to :lol:

Thanks for your advice everyone. The vehicle has a FSH and has done 40,000 miles. I've got it booked in for a diagnostic earlier so I'll let you know what they find! Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, long story short on this one....... Toyota did the diagnostic and all it showed was an oil overfill. So they drained it and replaced the filter, which seems to have done the job. Apparently it's quite common as some garages think the yaris d has a 4.5ltr oil capacity when it only has 3.9ltr. Thanks for all of your advice.

Hi everyone, long story short on this one....... Toyota did the diagnostic and all it showed was an oil overfill. So they drained it and replaced the filter, which seems to have done the job. Apparently it's quite common as some garages think the yaris d has a 4.5ltr oil capacity when it only has 3.9ltr. Thanks for all of your advice.

Excellent news, just keep a close eye on the levels and if they drop more than 0.5lt/621miles or rise at all get the back to the dealer.

Ha! Such a simple thing but so easy to miss!

Glad you got it sorted! :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump this thread. I thought it's better than starting a new one.

My Yaris had an engine management light failure last week and lost 50% of its power. The oil change warning light has been coming on for two months, starting 7700 miles after its previous service. The dealer MOTed the car around the same the time and said they'd reset the light. However, it started coming on again a week later, and has been on for the past 6 weeks until the failure and loss of power last week. The AA identified a DPF regen problem and high oil level. I've no idea why it would be trying to regenerate because I do long motorway journeys at 70mph several times per week.  

Does this mean I've been driving around with contaminated oil for two months, that the dealer knew but did nothing, and that it's now going to be a major repair and a problematic future for this car?

Why didn't you go back to the dealer six weeks ago when the oil change light came on again?

Unless you've been back to the dealer, how could they know the light has come on again and has been on for the last six weeks. If you haven't been back to the dealer, your inaction could have contributed to the issue.

Just a comment, if the Engine Management Light is on the ECU won't allow a DPF regeneration to take place. 

8 hours ago, primeta said:

Does this mean I've been driving around with contaminated oil for two months, that the dealer knew but did nothing, and that it's now going to be a major repair and a problematic future for this car?

Since diesel is an oil anyway the 'contamination' aspect isn't a big issue until it thins the main oil out too much. (Quite a few people have had raised oil level due to strange regen issues but no problems with the engine itself.) However, before that happens the bigger danger is that it raises the oil level (as noted by the AA) so much that it causes other more mechanical problems. But if you check your oil level regularly you'll spot this before it gets excessive - if you haven't been checking, now is the time to start.

23 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Why didn't you go back to the dealer six weeks ago when the oil change light came on again?

Unless you've been back to the dealer, how could they know the light has come on again and has been on for the last six weeks. If you haven't been back to the dealer, your inaction could have contributed to the issue.

23 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I did go back to the dealer, via email and phone because I have been based in a different county since June. The dealer said it was nothing to worry about and it was just telling me that I'm due a service in a couple thousand miles. A lie basically. They also told me they'd contact my nearest toyota dealer who'd contact me about getting the light reset again. I heard nothing, send a couple of chaser emails and still heard nothing. The car is now with this other dealer who has informed me that the original garage would have known what was going on but presumably fobbed me off and hoped nothing more would come of it.

So we have the full story ....