Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In Desperate Need Of Advice Regarding Head Gasket Failure On Avensis

0405453a

Hi all,

I am in real need of some advice. I really should have done this earlier rather than digging my head in the sand but i will try to explain the situation.

Firstly, i apologise i realise there are tons of posts on this site and the internet regarding head gasket problems with the Avensis and i have read many o them but in many ways am now more confused.

I have an Avensis D-4D 55 plate (first reg in Sept 05), i am the second owner of the car, i bought it private sale in May 2008.

About 6 months ago i noticed the temp gauge heading north, upon checking the coolant i seen it was very low and every time i would top it up it would be very low or disappear by the end of the day. Mechanic told me the head gasket was gona and it would be pricey to fix - i simply did not have the funds at the time and thought i would save up for it, while still using the car ( i know this was risky but i had no other choice). Six months have passed and times have been tough and i still cannot afford the repair.

However, what has happened is the car has stopped working completely now, we have tried a new Battery and things just to make sure it isn't anything else but it is definietely the head gasket at fault.

Someone mentioned to me a new engine would solve the problem so i
contacted the local scrappy who quite me £200, which i thought was
megacheap. However, the mechanic says that engine is likely to have the
same or some other problem so it is a big risk, he said to get a
guaranteed one but this would be more expensive.

I have got a few quotes for guaranteed engines and they range from
£800-1800 inc vat. What concerns me is a guarantee in some cases is not
even worth the paper is is written on if the dealer sends me a dodgy
engine anyway and then refuses to deal with the problem and then i would
have to claim from the credit card company and back to square 1.

Do you guys think this is a viable option? What is the alternative, on
the one hand the car i guess is knackered but it seems such a waste
giving it away for scrap for like £200. Is there any other way i could
maximize a sale by selling a non-starter?

However, i read online Toyota have a warranty in place for this issue and i doubt it woul d apply as the car is old now ( a 55 plate and it has 107,000 miles on the clock). It has been serviced regularly but by independent garages, not Toyota themselves.

Any advice appreciated, especially with regards to the warranty.

the extended warranty was for 7 years or 112k miles, your car is now outside the conditions as it's over 8 years old.

Tbh I doubt that it's worth the investment that a new engine entails - better to put the money towards another car.

Toyota say that you can't skim these heads (it can be physically done but it's not approved) & a replacement short engine (Mr. T's normal warranty fix) is something like £5-6k.

I don't claim to be any kind of expert but I find it hard to believe that the gasket on it's own would prevent the engine from running. :g:

I guess the way to maximise the sale of a non-starter would be to part it out yourself.

Remember to reclaim any unexpired VED!

"However, what has happened is the car has stopped working completely now, we have tried a new Battery and things just to make sure it isn't anything else but it is definitely the head gasket at fault. "

What do you mean by that, did the engine over heat and seize up? when you try to start it does it turn over?

Yes, to repeat back about 8 months ago i was told head gasket had went as car heating up and swallowing coolant. Couldn't afford repair and was saving up while still continuing to use car (albeit using it less).

About 2 months ago i would have to turn ignition a few times before it would start. Then 4 weeks ago stopped starting altogether, the ignition turns and the car sounds like it is almost about to start but then dies at the very last second. Tried giving it a push start and jump start but no luck. Mechanic inititally said diagnostic computer said ti required new glo-plugs and fitted these in. Drfove it home but next day wouldn't start. Got the Battery out the car and a friend gave me a loan of a portable Battery charger, charged it to full and car started but next day would not start again. Back to mechanics who said Battery was knackered and changed battery but still could not start normally but said it would only start with 'Easy Start spray'. Tried 3rd mewchanic who said car is knackered due to head gasket being done in.

Should have got rid of car or fixed head gasket when the problem occured but money has been very tight and i am guilty of digging my head in the sand i guess.

What part of the UK are you.

Pete.

so, were any of these mechanics Toyota dealers?

It might have cost you for diagnostics but you would probably find out what is really wrong with it.

I don't think that I would take a car back to your 3rd mechanic ...

Still think that you are probably best to bite the bullet & buy another car as it'll probably be cheaper than fixing this one.

so, were any of these mechanics Toyota dealers?

It might have cost you for diagnostics but you would probably find out what is really wrong with it.

I don't think that I would take a car back to your 3rd mechanic ...

Still think that you are probably best to bite the bullet & buy another car as it'll probably be cheaper than fixing this one.

No, all 3 were independent garages.

Although the head gasket is gone, i can't help but feeling there must be some other reason why it isn't starting. Then again, at the same time i think maybe driving around for 6 months with the gasket gone has completely killed the car?

Did they connect it up to any diagnostics to read any codes?

As long as you kept topping up the oil & coolant I would have thought that you were OK albeit I could see potential issues with build-up in the EGR, turbo & with injectors & possibly glow plugs. I'm not a tech though.