Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Abysmal Mpg, What Can Be Done?

astoy

" However, due to having no garage and living in Scotland (where we are constantly subjected to crappy cold weather), I regularly encounter the problem with sticky gears when starting the can from cold start."

My car isn't garaged either & I also live in Lanarkshire. I've put up with it for 6 years but maybe yours is a particularly bad example.

"I'm confused about this D-Cat issue, mine appears not to have a DPF from descriptions (2007 2.2L) but is there somewhere I can look to be 100% sure thats not an issue either?"

If you open the bonnet does it say on the engine cover D4D or D-CAT?

Maybe it's because I've went from a 2013 Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTI which had go-kart handling, with short slick gears and perfectly weighted steering to the Avensis that I am having difficulty adjusting. Having said that I'm not alone about struggling with the gears issue. If you car has the DPF it will have D-cat signs on the sides of the car next to the small indicator lights, and on the engine cover. The D will be in green.

Well, I had a Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec petrol in between with equally go-cart handling, some nice touches that it would be nice to see replicated in other cars etc. but no car is perfect - they all have pros & cons. Imo the baulky 1st/2nd with a cold gearbox syndrome is an annoyance but it's only a minor niggle & certainly not something that I would change a car over.

On the other hand I wouldn't buy the current UK spec. 2.2 D-CAT because it's a) only available with the auto so that's a double mpg hit & b ) it's a 150bhp version so not even the extra bhp/torque as an upside.

58 Avensis T180: I haven't backtracked through all of the thread so I may be repeating earlier posts. Your main concerns seem to be fuel economy and gearshifts. There are a few things you can do for free or as part of your routine maintenance to help.

Fuel economy first. 1. Tyres. Good (top?) quality tyres designed for economy are your friend. Although living where you do you may need to compromise on fuel economy over the winter if you run winter tyres. Accurate tyre pressures are a must. Front wheel alignment is also a big factor.

2. Driving style. Stopping for junctions/traffic lights etc is a killer for fuel consumption. try to plan ahead and keep her rolling. If you can avoid having to pull off from stationary that will make a massive difference - saves wear on the clutch too although these days clutches last ages. Consider scrubbing 5mph (or maybe 10mph) from your cruising speed. It makes very little difference to your journey time and saves up to 10% of your fuel.

Accepting that you don't drive like a loon, the T180 engine makes lots of power and it has to come from somewhere ie your fuel tank. On the positive side, because you aren't working it too hard the engine should last really well.

Ok gear changes. My 06 D4D has been a pain into first from neutral and between 1st & 2nd since I bought it. Toyota say no fault found. B'lux! I either take plenty of time between 1st & 2nd to allow the gearbox to sort itself out - and I do mean plenty of time, losing a bit of road speed between gears or my preferred solution is to double declutch between 1st & 2nd. Double declutching takes no extra effort once you are used to it. Also it is a real bonus for an enthusiastic down shift in the higher gears when you want to take that split second overtake.

My view is that buying boxes etc to help with fuel consumption is only worthwhile if you do massive mileage as the things have to earn their money back before they save you anything. £400 is a lot of fuel (or beer...)

• Like 1

Food for thought Guys, thanks for that. I've chanced my arm and written to Toyota to see if they can do something regarding these issues. You never know, maybe my car is one of the lucky ones that will get a new more fuel efficient engine. Will keep you posted.

Hi,

I actually made the time to get down to Toyota Main Dealer, got the car "registered" to me on Toyota's System.

I've now had access to the Service History (aside from the FSH in the book I have detailing the Oil Change etc.) - however this is currently only in the form of the print out I was handed. Despite having all the documents at the dealer, "My Toyota" website still says it is awaiting approval to have my car added to the log on on "https://my.toyota.co.uk", and could I take the VC5 and other stuff back to the main dealer to prove I owned this car(!). I'm hoping that irons itself out in the next few days.

The Main thing I've learnt is of several trips back to the dealership under "Warranty / Customer Complaint". These standardly include parts listed, I'll drop a few part numbers here (not all, I can't just pull them from the website), see if anyone know what's been done:

Oct 2007:

T90904-30008 - Gasket (5)

T96721-19017 - Seal (2)

T23681-17010 - Seal, Nozzle (4)

T25620-0R011 - EGR VALVE (1) -*

T25627-0R010 - GSKT. EGR VALVE (1)

T25633-0R010 - GSKT, EGR VALVE (1)

--ETC.....

Dec 2007:

T13011-0R020 - T13011-0R011/RING(1)

T13011-0R010 - PISTON STD. (4)

T16325-0D010 - Gasket Housing (1)

--ETC.....

Jul 2009:
T23761-26010 - Pipe, N (1)
T90904-30008 - Gasket (5)
T23681-17010 - SEAL, NOZZLE (4)
T23804-0R020 - PIPE SUB-ASSY, (1)
T11213-0R010 - GSKT, ROCKER CVR (1)

--ETC.....

Dec 2010 (INVESTIGATE COOLANT LOSS. LOSE):

T04111-0R032 - GASKET KIT, ENG (1)

T13265-22031 - BOLT, CON ROD (8)

T13540-0R010 - CHAIN TENSIONER (1)

T16100-09340 - WATER PUMP (1)

T17451-0R010 - GASKET, EXHAUST (1)

T17451-0R020 - GASKET, EXHAUST (1)

T25620-0R012 - VALVE ASSY, EGR (1) -* (AGAIN!)

T11101-29555 - CYLINDER HEAD (1)

T13101-0R012 - PISTON SUB-ASSY (4)

T13011-0R030 - RING SET, PISTO (1)

T90311-40030 - OIL SEAL (1)

T90311-50032 - OIL SEAL (1)

T08826-00080 - SEAL PACKING (1)

T11410-09415 - BLOCK ASSY, CYL (1)

T11101-29555-CU - CYLINDER HEAD/Surc (1-)

Highlights above were added by me on parts I thought may be of interest. Other parts I've not bothered typing in code numbers for.
I'm surprised at a lot of this, mostly because none of it was even hinted at in the service history log (all stamped, some main dealer info). But it just seems such a lot of work.
I'm a little concerned the car has had so much work done on it, though logically it should mean a lot of these jobs have been done.
If anyone has any opinion / advice on this situation I'd welcome the info.
Cheers,
-Andy

looks like this car suffered from the head gasket/head issue given that Dec 2010 list.

I don't know for sure but that looks like a short engine to me (surprised that you didn't highlight "Block Assy, Cyl").

• Like 1

Yes, essentially anything on that list was a highlight anyway as each of those events had over twice as many components as listed.

I just missed it.

I'm actually a little annoyed with Toyota on this because I can't for the life of me work out:

1. Why this wasn't in the service history book.

2. Why when I called as a possible buyer for the car Platinum Toyota told me they had no record of the car, yet 2 months after purchase there's evidence on their system that there's been a catastrophic failure in the engine.

When I bought my 8 year old A4 7 years ago Audi told me of cambelt changes etc.

Is this a Toyota policy or this particular Main Dealer who is lacking?

"Annoyed" is the polite version, and obviously if challenged on this they will deny it but I can 100% guarentee I checked with them for known issues and service history and they told me no records were held on this car.

Andy S

N.b.

T11101-29555 - CYLINDER HEAD (1)

This means more than they suspect the gasket of having the issue . Surely it means they've found the engine to have failed the head gasket and warped the cylinder head beyond reuse.

On a four year old car they probably flipped a coin to see if they repaired it or scrapped it.

As stated b Heidfirst your car looks to have had the head gasket failure - a known fault and one which Toyota have remedied under a free extended warranty with a replacement top end (cylinder block, pistons, head etc). This is good news for you because it means that you do not need to worry about suffering with it again.

• Like 1

Cheers, I am glad its been remedied, but its whether the actual failure (to me it looks like the gasket had gone before the fault was remedied) has caused damage to other systems / parts.

Doesn't alter the fact Toyota denied any extra information on the car when I rang 3 times and explained that I was thinking of buying the car.

Bottom line is that there is no record of further problems since December 2010, so I'm hoping 3 years of no recorded problem means its all cured.

I guess after them spending that much on the car in December they wouldnt have left something of potential risk in there too.

Does this Head Gasket fault just need fixing the once or is it known to be an issue every 80,000 miles due to design fault?

The problem is permanantly solved by the 'short engine' rebuild and anything that could be damaged by the original head gasket failure is included in the rebuild.

Thanks for the info.

I best get on with an oil change then.....

Andy.