Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dampness In Drivers Footwell

Tay

Hi all,

I have noticed lately a damp patch that consistently appears in the drivers side footwell.

It's not soaking wet, just damp. I cant find any dampness around the edges of the carpet, there is just a damp patch right in the centre, so i'm finding it hard to work out which direction the water is coming in from.

Any ideas on the best place to start the search?

Cheers

Chris

An old trick but it works, run a chalk line around the footwell.

This should tell you if / where the water is percolating from.

Over night leave white paper in the footwell to see if anything is dripping.

This should then give a clue as to where to concentrate your search.

• Like 1

Hi there, thanks for the tips, all good advice and I have tried this.

I'm still stumped by it though, and I was hoping for some further ideas.

I have lifted the carpets and actually its soaked underneath, with standing water. the middle of the carpet (underneath) is wet through, but I cant see any dampness at the edges which is why i'm confused and the chalk trick didn't really show anything obvious.

I have checked the door seals, the windscreen seals and the rain gulley's and they all seem unblocked and fine, so I just cant think where this might be coming from!

There are metal plates in the floor of the foot well itself and i'm wondering if rain could be coming down the drain gulleys and seeping in through these sealed plates, have you ever seen that before? If so, I may as well get some sealant and re-do these.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi there,

I have checked the door seals, the windscreen seals and the rain gulley's and they all seem unblocked and fine, so I just cant think where this might be coming from!

There are metal plates in the floor of the foot well itself and i'm wondering if rain could be coming down the drain gulleys .....

Hi

Sorry, I can't help you but got similar problem. It is very annoying when is cold in the mornings, windscreen and all glasses inside are steamy(condensed dampness). After rain humidity inside grows up to 85-90% (I've got hygrometer there). I looked everywhere but no visible water/wet anywhere.

So I don't know what/where to look for the source of dampness.

You mentioned rain gulley and drain gulleys , are they the same? I would like to ask you where are they and how to check them?

I had water in the foot well on a Scoda, it took a lot of finding but its was a small drip from the windscreen leaking in, over a period of time it can soak under the carpets, the top carpet just felt damp, but I could wring out the underfelt

You could check that the AC drain is clear,

I had water in the foot well on a Scoda, it tool a lot of finding but its was a small drip from the windscreen leaking in, over a period of time it can soak under the carpets, the top carpet just felt damp, but I could wring out the underfelt

You could check that the AC drain is clear,

I don't know if you reply to me or to Tay...

Anyway, where / how to check AC drain?

one of my cars had a grommet missing in the A pillar where someone previously decided to root the aerial wire, just a thought.

It's under the front passenger carpet towards the centre and close to the bulkhead. Underneath the car its just above the subframe , it sticks out about an inch but is akward to get to. My advice is pull the pipe up from inside and try and do it from there.

It's under the front passenger carpet towards the centre and close to the bulkhead. Underneath the car its just above the subframe , it sticks out about an inch but is akward to get to. My advice is pull the pipe up from inside and try and do it from there.

It seems not easy for me to remove the carpet to get access ...probably first I need to remove centre console...

If I know where the pipe goes out underneath the car, I would put newspaper on the ground and see if dripping when AC working for few minutes idling engine.

This anecdote may not be entirely relevant, but it might be a possibility. I had an Avant A6 estate with exactly the same problem. The eventual outcome was that we discovered water was coming in behind the bulkhead on the passenger side. This was caused by would you believe leaves and debris collecting under the Battery compartment, blocking grainage holes which would have taken the water away through the engine compartment. This was an expensive repair as the management control unit which was located under the carpet on the passenger side became damaged with ingress of water.

The Avensis layout maybe entirely different, but it could just be the same problem.

Hope this helps