Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice Please From You Good Rav 4 Owners

Torque

Hello, I'm currently looking at getting back to AWD / 4x4 after being a happy Subaru owner for many years and then changing to a diesel Skoda due to work commitments, commitments which ended earlier this year with me being made redundant, I got a decent package and wanted out and I've now got myself a job which necessitates me being able to get to some remote locations in all weathers so my Octavia vRS, even on winter wheels and tyres isn't the best suited for this. I've pretty much narrowed the choice down to either a RAV4 or a CRV and the RAV4 is a much better size for my needs so on to my question.

I love the torque of diesel power as opposed to a revvy petrol however, I only do low mileage, in total I'd estimate 5 to 6000 per year and that's everything, work and personal. I'm buying 2nd hand and ideally want to spend only what I have in the Octavia which is around £13k and it has to be an auto. I've seen a few advertised, both diesel and petrol versions, and there's a 2010 diesel one which ticks all my wish list boxes however, it's done 60,000 miles.

How are they with higher mileage on, are there tell tale signs of possible trouble ahead which should make me walk away from vehicles and what are your thoughts on me having a diesel with the low mileage that I do?

Sorry for the waffle but I needed to explain myself clearly rather than re-ignite the age old diesel v petrol conundrum :)

I'm sure the oil burner brigade will be on soon, but for me, and certainly with the mileage you do, the petrol makes more sense. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, bullet proof engine, and nice to drive. Both ours are autos, and return over 30 mpg, so no real complaints there.

You will enjoy the car, whichever way you go, and as to higher mileage, you will get a better buy, and with your lower mileage, you will soon catch up on the average.

• Like 1

About twice average but 60k miles isn't mega miles. If you keep the car for a few years - with your annual mileage, you'll get to average mileage for the year. A petrol would be ideal for your mileage but I can understand why you'd want a diesel. However if you choose a model with a DPF - you may have problems with low annual mileage unless you do regular motorway type runs.

As much as I love diesels, for your milage it would have to be petrol.

haha - my turbo'd RAVs warm up within half a mile. The diesel vans and trucks we have take half a day!