Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service Intervals

Plutus

Just looking at the Rav on the Toyota website and I see the old intervals remain.

Every 10k. I know long term it's better for the engine but their german competitors have much longer intervals.

I wonder if the bmw engines will be 10k intervals?

Companies like Volkwagen offer two servicing regimes: 1) Time and Distance - where the vehicles needs to be serviced at 10,000 mile/12 month service intervals (whichever occurs first); 2) LongLife Servicing - where the vehicles are filled with Castrol Professional Edge Longlife III oil and the service can occur anywhere between 9000 miles/12 months and 20,000 miles/24 months depending on operating environment.

The Time and Distance service interval is the same as Toyota's.

I would imagine that Toyota will keep one servicing regime.

We just bought a 2 year old motorhome that was due its 1st service, and that was at 19500 miles. I can't help thinking' being of the older school, that these extended service periods are not that good. However, if the oils are that good now, maybe it is okay.

The MH is Merc based, and this service, done in Spain at Mercedes trucks, was €460, with the cost of the oils over €230, its like liquid gold.

I prefer the annual check - and with Toyota's fixed price servicing scheme being available on new vehicles (rather than after 3 years with people like VW), the service costs are very reasonable.

Interestingly, Peugeot, who had a 20,000 mile/2 year servicing regime on their cars, moved back to annual servicing for new cars from July 2012.

I have been offered my next three services from Mr T for £667 (60k FULL/70k INTERMEDIATE/80k FULL) and I can pay monthly installments at no extra charge.

To be honest, if they are offering "pay monthly", I personally would expect a discount if I pay all of it upfront !!

Obviously, if I look at these service costs today using the prices of Mr T's fixed price servicing, it's cheaper at today's prices.

One just has to weigh up how much MR T will increase their fixed price servicing over the next 3 years.

As these prices are Toyota Fixed Pricing, does that mean that all dealers will charge the same ? (I may call round a few and see what they say).

Bobby

Toyota FPS is the same at all dealers, otherwise there is no point in having a FPS if the next dealer down the road charges more / less for the same service

The Toyota FPS has pretty much stayed the same since its introduction, they have kept most FPS parts prices frozen, there maybe slight variations over the next few years, but I doubt prices will change significantly

Personally speaking, longer service intervals sit great with the customer, however, most people never even lift the bonnet between intervals, and that can be dangerous. People have become lazy and just expect the car to run from one year to the next without any intervention. Imagine those customers with cars maybe in year 4 or 5, running round in vehicles not fit to be on the road because of lack of maintenance?

Kingo :thumbsup:

I think the mercedes one is better.

15k or annual, whichever comes first.

Average use of a vehicle you can easily run up 10k.

"As these prices are Toyota Fixed Pricing, does that mean that all dealers will charge the same ? (I may call round a few and see what they say)."

Not all Toyota dealers will be participating in Toyota's Fixed Price Servicing Scheme, so there may be some variation in servicing costs - see terms and conditions:

"Terms and Conditions

Your Dealer will recommend the correct service for your vehicle based on the age, mileage and service history. All prices include parts, oil, labour and VAT (20%). Fixed Price Servicing is applicable to Toyota passenger vehicles only and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. Additional items may be required on some services. Only at participating official Toyota Service Dealers. Prices apply to vehicles up to 10 years or 100,000 miles. Prices correct at September 2012 and are the maximum retail price. Toyota Service Dealers are free to offer prices lower than above."

Most dealers are participating, that is just a standard declaration, just like the largest burger house in the world, they all sell the latest 99p carp in a bun but always use that strapline

call me old fashioned but I prefer to change oil and filter at 6 month intervals even although I'm using fully syn 05w-30 C2 oil.every 3000 on my motor cycle, lifes blood of an engine, only hope my remaufactured motor appreciates it.

B-A

Years back I had a 96 primera petrol. I bought it with 20k on the clock and sold it as a runner with 160k miles. When it got to a hundred thousand miles, I stopped spending any money on it. It was dented and cosmetically rough by this age, so not worth anything as part exchange. In it's latter years, I changed the oil once and that was all I did under the bonnet. Eventually, city life turned it into such a wreck that my wife demanded it had to go, so I sold it to a mate who just needed a runaround. 160k miles, original clutch and exhaust, never a fault. It was probably the most reliable car I've ever known..

I can't help but feel that modern cars are very much built to a budget and not built to last. When you look around the roads today, there aren't that many cars over 10 years old. It's one of the things that attracted me to Toyota, the reputation for build quality that seems to be lacking from a lot of the European rivals.

• Like 1

The reason I looked at this is because we are considering running only one car. This would mean 12-15k m.p.a.

Just another area where Toyota are slightly behind their European competitors.

Years back I had a 96 primera petrol. I bought it with 20k on the clock and sold it as a runner with 160k miles. When it got to a hundred thousand miles, I stopped spending any money on it. It was dented and cosmetically rough by this age, so not worth anything as part exchange. In it's latter years, I changed the oil once and that was all I did under the bonnet. Eventually, city life turned it into such a wreck that my wife demanded it had to go, so I sold it to a mate who just needed a runaround. 160k miles, original clutch and exhaust, never a fault. It was probably the most reliable car I've ever known..

I can't help but feel that modern cars are very much built to a budget and not built to last. When you look around the roads today, there aren't that many cars over 10 years old. It's one of the things that attracted me to Toyota, the reputation for build quality that seems to be lacking from a lot of the European rivals.

Bill, this reminds of an uncle of mine who always drove Fords, mainly Cortinas, but who never changed engine oil but, occassionally, just the filter. His logic was that because the car used a pint or so every 1K miles, the contents of the sump were being replaced within a year anyway so, why would he drain & dump perfectly good oil?

Most of the petrolheads in the family tut-tutted, as you'd expect but, funnily enough, he never had any engine problems with any of his cars. Can't speak for the subsequent owners however...............