Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Failure

big al your pal

Obvious really - the environmental brigade just won't wear it at all if they're missing at test time .......

• Like 1

How will a tester know if the internals have been removed and the carcass is still there? If the car passes the smoke test and the e.c.u. has been "fooled" then who's to know?

Yes, different if the whole thing has been removed and a piece of pipe welded in place then it will be obvious.

Don't kid yourself Peter - this is new MOT regulations we're talking about. They'll probably find out quite easily ......

The only car I've seen with a DPF removed smoked like a chimney under acceleration, so I doubt it would be hard to tell.

• Like 1

As an MOT tester I can tell you how we will know if a car has a DPF fitted as standard.

When we register the vehicle on the VTS device a sheet is printed out with what is called VSI. Vehicle specific information.

It contains specific information about ABS systems breke testing and traction control info as well as particular peculiarities of vehicle suspension charecteristics and particular ways of testing certain components based on manufacturers information.

Manufacturers will be required to have this information on the DVLA system and MOT testers will automatically be informed if a vehicle had a DPF fitted on the VSI. At least thats what usually happens. But with Vosa one never knows.

An anomally of the current test regime is the airbag warning light. If its on it indicates a fault and fails. If someone has removed the bulb and it does not come on. Pass and advise. Strange.

Loads of stuff online on the vosa website.

However if the internals have been removed and it looks OK and original then its not really my problem. As long as it passes the smoke test not even an issue for me. However when they get round to engine management lights being part of the test removing the guts may well put the light on.

Modern diesels are indeed lots of fun.

• Like 2

Don't kid yourself Peter - this is new MOT regulations we're talking about. They'll probably find out quite easily ......

The only car I've seen with a DPF removed smoked like a chimney under acceleration, so I doubt it would be hard to tell.

Hence why I said if it passes the smoke test and the ecu has been fooled(no warning lights) which many obviously do after dpf removal.

It doesn't particularly concern me as I don't own a Diesel!

• Like 1