Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2013 Excel Hybrid - Poor Headlights

Phil L

On 04/03/2016 at 2:38 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Auto Express will be sending me a link to use. Their evidence was enough to get a LA trading standards to approach one company who withdrew the kits from sale and voluntarily closed their website.

Possibly http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/consumer-news/94753/dangers-of-illegal-hid-headlight-conversion-kits-explained ?

Having read it it still seems to be a grey area in terms of the absolute legality of selling (I don't think that anybody is arguing the illegality of installing for road use & use on road) - I suspect that the company mentioned withdrew because in their opinion it wasn't worth the hassle & legal costs to fight. I think that the idea of selling as possibly being an incitement to commit an offence is rather weak otherwise we couldn't buy knives as someone may stab someone else etc. etc. ....

This may be another case where the law can't keep up with the market/tech changes - they say that you can't get Type Approval for HID conversion kits because the bulb type &  it's base don't match but I believe that there now are HIDs where they do. The cost of Type Approval imo is more likely to be a deterrent for many companies to getting it.

& of course there are conversion kits & conversion kits, again afaik there are some (obviously dearer) that include  redesigned reflectors etc.

10 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Possibly http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/consumer-news/94753/dangers-of-illegal-hid-headlight-conversion-kits-explained ?

Having read it it still seems to be a grey area in terms of the absolute legality of selling (I don't think that anybody is arguing the illegality of installing for road use & use on road) - I suspect that the company mentioned withdrew because in their opinion it wasn't worth the hassle & legal costs to fight. 

.... they say that you can't get Type Approval for HID conversion kits because the bulb type &  it's base don't match but I believe that there now are HIDs where they do. The cost of Type Approval imo is more likely to be a deterrent for many companies to getting it.

& of course there are conversion kits & conversion kits, again afaik there are some (obviously dearer) that include  redesigned reflectors etc.

According to the article the company who withdrew the kits were promoting the kits as a safety aid.

UNECE said one reason the kits couldn't get Type Approval is that the bulb type and base don't match - which indicates this isn't the only reason for not getting Type Approval.

Whether or not some companies sell headlight units with redesigned reflectors doesn't mean they're necessarily more suitable for using HID's or comply with Type Approval and Construction & Use Regulations.

The article no doubt has been edited etc. & doesn't tell the full story (yes, publications have their own agendas & bias).

We know that DfT "believe" that selling aftermarket HID kits is illegal but "belief" is not the law - if it was the law they would have a more forceful statement than "believe" & they would quote an Act or Instrument. & if you aren't going to use them on-road (& there will be users who genuinely want them for off-road use) then you are not contravening anything afaik

Anyway, by the time that they sort this out HIDs will be old hat & everybody will be using LEDs (which can use the same bulb base, light source positioning & run cooler), lasers or something else  ... The sooner they start setting standards by lumen, colour temperature etc. rather than wattage & such the better.

Further to my earlier bits, I received a phone call from my local Dealer to say the new headlights have arrived! Ordered on Monday! Unfortunately I cannot get the car in during the next week, so there will be a short delay before I can say how good the improvement is...............

• 2 weeks later...

Very pleased to say that I had 2x new headlights fitted to my Auris HSD today at Steven Eagell Aylesbury Toyota.

The service was superb and the results are very pleasing. Instantly notice the lack of the clear 45 degree cut-off bar from light to total black-hole on the nearside. OK it still reduces in light but it's greatly improved and now much more as expected. The spread of the beam is also much much better as well, before it felt like all light was poked out to an imaginary point right in the middle of the car a little distance down the road whereas now it feels like a much nicer spread with a lot better even coverage to which was instantly much much nicer on my drive down unlit country roads tonight. Very pleased with the result. It took two years of moaning and terrible night time driving but Toyota have actually done something!

I'd love to a comment on their official "everything is fine, now please go away" response two years ago to actually spending an awful lot of money to replace complete headlight units free of charge....

See images which try to display the improvement on nearside cut-off and also the better spread of light, sadly the camera doesn't always give a great representation as with the bright centres it doesn't pick up areas which do now have new lower light levels (enough to aid driving) as it balances these out, but you get an idea... Upload removed before & after names but I think you will be able to see which is which. Tried hard to take these at same locations.

:)

gran-2.jpg

gran-1.jpg

wall-1.jpg

wall-2.jpg

• Like 1

Re 

If you have a current model but pre facelift 2013-2015 Auris with Halogen bulbs ( not LED/HID ) and find the near field side illumination poor Toyota can supply modified headlamps that have a redesigned reflector to improve side illumination the Technical service bulletin reference is  BE-0058T-0515 

Does this mean if I have. 2013 touring 1.4d , I just go into service at main dealer quote above and they can replace ?.

10 minutes ago, Packard said:

Re 

If you have a current model but pre facelift 2013-2015 Auris with Halogen bulbs ( not LED/HID ) and find the near field side illumination poor Toyota can supply modified headlamps that have a redesigned reflector to improve side illumination the Technical service bulletin reference is  BE-0058T-0515 

Does this mean if I have. 2013 touring 1.4d , I just go into service at main dealer quote above and they can replace ?.

Well they can check the bulletin, order the replacement headlights and then replace when in stock.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2015 Auris Hybrid Excel Estate. Sorry I didn't get back to respond on this earlier. I have now had my headlights replaced as per the earlier thread. I printed out the details, and took them in to my local Dealer (Dingles, Lowestoft). He ordered them straight away and they arrived within a day or two! Took them longer to fit than they anticipated - about 3 - 4 hours - and having now tried them out I must say I am really pleased with the results. Significantly better illumination and beam spread. Grateful thanks to all in this thread who gave advice. If you have an Auris of this build get into your dealer and get them organised. Well worth it. Regarding the actual bulbs, that is a different matter. The bulbs seem a bit yellow compared to my last car (Honda CR-V) but I think I am stuck with them for the moment. I notice the newer cars are now fitted with LED lights together with headlight washers (which I understand is a legal requirement) so I don't think there is an upgrade path there. Have to keep looking and waiting........... 

3 minutes ago, Suffolk Brian said:

2015 Auris Hybrid Excel Estate. Sorry I didn't get back to respond on this earlier. I have now had my headlights replaced as per the earlier thread. I printed out the details, and took them in to my local Dealer (Dingles, Lowestoft). He ordered them straight away and they arrived within a day or two! Took them longer to fit than they anticipated - about 3 - 4 hours - and having now tried them out I must say I am really pleased with the results. Significantly better illumination and beam spread. Grateful thanks to all in this thread who gave advice. If you have an Auris of this build get into your dealer and get them organised. Well worth it. Regarding the actual bulbs, that is a different matter. The bulbs seem a bit yellow compared to my last car (Honda CR-V) but I think I am stuck with them for the moment. I notice the newer cars are now fitted with LED lights together with headlight washers (which I understand is a legal requirement) so I don't think there is an upgrade path there. Have to keep looking and waiting........... 

Thanks, I spoke to Toyota customer services who stated go into local Toyota (Dingles Norwich)' it booked in a few weeks to be done.  2013 touring 1.4 diesel excel. 

55 minutes ago, Suffolk Brian said:

Regarding the actual bulbs, that is a different matter. The bulbs seem a bit yellow compared to my last car (Honda CR-V) but I think I am stuck with them for the moment. 

I contacted Osram after they began production of the HIR2 bulbs (those fitted to the Auris), and enquired whether they were planning to produce Night Breaker versions. They replied that as the HIR2 bulbs are already (75-80%) brighter than standard halogen bulbs, the answer was 'no'.

• 1 month later...

I've now had mine replaced under warranty. It seems the spread to the n/side is so much better, however the reach of the dipped beam seems way to low (yes I have adjusted it) looks like it's going back...

I find the headlights poor too. Auris hybris sports wagon ( estate) 2014. Mines due for a service in a month or so, should i ask?

2 hours ago, offashead said:

I find the headlights poor too. Auris hybris sports wagon ( estate) 2014. Mines due for a service in a month or so, should i ask?

If you have the traditional bulb, not led dipped/main beam there is a recall that is done for free (but you have to ask for it and quote the ref previously quoted).

ive just taken mine back after the warranty work to higher the beam pattern as it was set up low, now a LOT better.

Thanks

23 hours ago, Packard said:

If you have the traditional bulb, not led dipped/main beam there is a recall that is done for free (but you have to ask for it and quote the ref previously quoted).

ive just taken mine back after the warranty work to higher the beam pattern as it was set up low, now a LOT better.

Thanks very much. I will do just that, I have no idea what bulb is in there but will ask anyway.

The second generation Auris uses HIR2 bulbs.

Your profile is  showing a 2014 Prius - so do you have a 2014 Prius and a 2014 Auris?

On 5/14/2016 at 8:19 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The second generation Auris uses HIR2 bulbs.

Your profile is  showing a 2014 Prius - so do you have a 2014 Prius and a 2014 Auris?

No only the Auris 2014. I must change that. Anyway does the above bulb need a change, not sure what you mean by a HIR2 bulb? Just checked my profile and I can't change the model. Edit

HIR2 is the bulb fitment

• 1 month later...

Hi. took the Auris for a service, inquired about headlights, handed over the bulletin reference. Result, nothing.

It appears my headlights are fine, but , I don't think so. Was I fobbed off? Any suggestions?

Add in the fact it took them 5 hours to get me the car back, one hour more than it should of been, leaving me, losing money and less than impressed. After all it was only a 20,000 mile service. The saving grace was, the service was free and there were no problems ? with the vehicle. The headlights, still worry me.

On 11/05/2016 at 10:00 PM, Packard said:

I've now had mine replaced under warranty. It seems the spread to the n/side is so much better, however the reach of the dipped beam seems way to low (yes I have adjusted it) looks like it's going back...

yes we have found the same directly in front of the car there is better spread of light but the distance is still the same very poor

i feel its with then lights being of a flat beam style ,if they where of the standard type with the 45' angle then the drivers headlight

would project further in the centre of the road and the passenger side would light up the kerbside further, on a plus if you go to the

continent you dont need any beam deflectors as they wont blind oncoming traffic

2 hours ago, eygo said:

yes we have found the same directly in front of the car there is better spread of light but the distance is still the same very poor

i feel its with then lights being of a flat beam style ,if they where of the standard type with the 45' angle then the drivers headlight

would project further in the centre of the road and the passenger side would light up the kerbside further, on a plus if you go to the

continent you dont need any beam deflectors as they wont blind oncoming traffic

I had mine replaced under warranty, then went it's better to the near side  depth was next to useless.  Took it back one major apology later they admitted they had set the pattern wrong (it wasn't the manual adjust).

my advice take it back and get them to show you the results on the beam alignment machine .

You should email Toyota Customer Service direct and tell them about your problem with the lights. I did and they liaised with the dealer so I got new headlights fitted.

You can't tell whether the lateral beam spread is good enough from looking at a beam setter display.  

2 weeks age I changed my Yaris Hybrid for a 2013 Auris Hybrid Excel, will this car have the headlight problem, not be out in dark yet and how can I tell please?

On 5 July 2016 at 10:39 AM, geoffus said:

2 weeks age I changed my Yaris Hybrid for a 2013 Auris Hybrid Excel, will this car have the headlight problem, not be out in dark yet and how can I tell please?

Tbh I don't think you can tell by looking, if you got out in pitch black ideal a quiet back road and look at pics previously posted you will see the difference.  

If you log into my Toyota you should see your history of vehicle, if not recall or work shown on the lights I would suggest you book it in.

• 1 month later...

I posted a query on the Toyota blog page regarding the light replacement and their reply was to contact my dealer for more information. I never got round to it but today, out of the blue,  my local dealer telephoned me to book my car in to have the replacement  headlights fitted, well done Toyota for sorting this out. I'll post again to let you know what I think of the new lights after they have been fitted around the middle of September.

Hi Jim, I did the same as you and contacted Toyota and they told me to contact local dealer but I have not heard anything at all from them. When did you blog them please?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links