Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Owner/driver Reviews Of Gt86?

NickSw

Being of a certain age the announcement of the GT86 grabbed my attention a couple of years back. Studied specs etc and very much liked the exterior styling. Also the flat4 engine. However I thought it over priced, under powered and not quite cutting the mustard.

Some of the hype was the insistence of a normally aspirated engine by the makers. I am V sure this engine is capable of far, far more. Perhaps MkII will go some way toward this. I presume that an updated version will be along before I get too much older. Still of interest but I would very much appreciate the thoughts/opinions of real existing owners. Don't want hype, just honest opinion.

I think that in the right hands this could become what was known as a real muscle car.

From what I've read it is an excellent chassis and handles superbly. I'm pretty sure that, without too much major tweaking, this engine should be able to produce 300+ bhp. Perhaps that is in the pipeline*. No doubt someone, somewhere is doing this as I type.

I had a test drive in one but since then I have not seen a GT86 in the flesh. When I do, I may try to buttonhole the driver for a brief chat.

Wish I still had my, lightly modded, D240Z Samurai. One of the most enjoyable cars I've ever owned. Great fun but had to be driven. The harder, the better. Sadly written off by an ex. Happily she (the ex) survived unscathed. We remain best of friends.

Thanks,

Nick.

*reminds me of Sarah Pippeline, but that's a very old story.

How about a review from a Purchaser ??.

Was a major contributor to my lads GT86 and ended up buying his Auris from him as I'm getting past it for cars like that.

Why is everyone looking down at me when I'm driving it ??, luckily I only need to drive it once every couple of months.

My spine isn't too impressed with the ride even though I usually drive on roads that can rip a Nissan Patrol to pieces.

Can't complain about the performance even after hearing all the critics saying it was underpowered, but there again I'm an old !Removed!..

Standard equipment is O.K. but I think it should have a spare wheel, compact or otherwise.

Upgrade to Touch and Go, way too pricey for what you get.

All in all, I reckon it gives the drivers grins as though they have a coat hanger in their mouth..

• 2 weeks later...

I've had mine just over a year now and without being bias it is a great little car. I traded in a much more powerful modded rx8 to get it and never looked back. You're right though, they could get a lot more power from it, but that's part of the charm, it loves to be revved and its fun doing it. Saying that, I've been keeping an eye for a decent turbo kit for mine. Same story with grip, they could have put big wide tyres that offered endless grip but instead the put the same skinny ones on that the Prius uses. This makes it tail happy and easy to play with, which is exactly what a potential buyer should be looking for. Its just a fun, simple car.

If you are looking for muscle though, its probably not for you. Your money would be better spent on top spec German coupe that's a couple of years old, but be prepared to blend into the crowd! I still have only seen a handful of GT86's and all the drivers give a friendly wave or nod as you pass each other! Or you could hold out for what seems like an inevitable return of the Supra rumoured for 2015, it will be much more powerful and no doubt very good looking.

By the way D240z great car, bet that's sorely missed!

• 1 month later...

I have owned mine for 8 months now it was 1 year old when I got it I have only seen 1 white one and a blue brz which shows not many about in my little corner of Essex! only done 2000 miles and take it to work at weekends still love the car as not many about curious to know if any problems have surfaced with them yet?

• 7 months later...

I worked for Toyota I drove them they are crap harsh ride so gutless I could go to sleep at the wheel and they drop valves.buy the Subaru model its better,but for gods sake put a damn turbo on the thing,wish I still had my 400 horse celica now that did go well

• 3 weeks later...

I did a mini review here: CLICK.

Also tried a turbo charged one last year:

Just got back from DaveJH's. Nice bloke btw. thumbup.gif

Dave had kindly offered me a ride in his GT86, avec le turbocompresseur. Until today I'd assumed supercharging is the way forward - no real justification other than the perceived refined sophistication of the S/C thanks to XKR and similar and the chavvy boy racer image of the turbocharged scoobs and mitsis. I know these are just stereotypes but popular opinions, especially by non-petrolheads. I don't think I've been in any FI car before. I had however, heard that turbos suffer from lag and that is why SC are preferred in many applications.

Had a quick look round when I got there - a lovely install which could easily be factory finish - or probably better. Nothing looks out of place and all very neat with great attention to detail. Little touches like bracing for the brake fluid master cylinder are all there. Externally it looks low, really low. I was a bit concerned that with big rims, skinny rubber and quite a bit lower than standard it may be a harsh ride. It isn't.

Before starting Dave warned it's a bit loud, I reassured him that I'd had a TVR Griffith so was used to it. It is loud, but not unbearable nor even anti-social. It's also a work in progress so will be better when complete. Driving around suburbia it was pleasant enough and not a harsh ride like I'd feared - in fact it felt pretty benign. From the passenger seat, were it not for the exhaust it's not a great deal different to mine. Low though - struggles over modest speed bumps - may be better when when exhaust is finished.

Dave said he'd take us up to the motorway to a service station for a coffee and a run back.

A quick step back in time a few hours... It was chilly this morning, c. 3ºC. On my way to the M5 I pulled out to overtake a car and was surprised when the TC cut in to catch a slide I'd provoked by being a little too aggressive with the throttle on a damp and cold road. No real drama, driver error, lesson learnt. It made me a little concerned about a +300BHP 'test drive' but at least I'd found out the potential for danger early in the day and reigned it in a little.

Anyway, back to Dave and the motorway. As we entered the on-slip he gave it some beans and the %$(er just squatted down and went. No traction control lights, no slide, no drama. Mine would have squirmed and probably slewed sideways if I'd tried the same thing with a meagre 175BHP or whatever it has as standard. Clearly this has been set up properly by someone who knows what they're doing.

If this is lag, WTF is instant like? It's responsive, immediate and quick. I have nothing with which to compare it but to me it felt pretty much instantaneous with no perceivable lag. In-gear acceleration is fantastic - it feels very torquey even at low revs pulling in fourth or fifth. When it gets to +5,500RPM it sings. A bit Joe Cocker rather than Katherine Jenkins, but sing it does. It even clears its throat nicely - the dump valve is subtle. Nearly forgot - pops and bangs. We like. Dave assures me flames too. cool.gif

We stopped for a coffee and Dave asked if I'd like to drive back. Would I? thumbup.gif

First thing to note is the clutch - much heavier than standard and bite point very close to the top of travel. Steering feels heavier but only down to the wider, grippier tyres. Boost is set with the cruise control switch and displayed in the offside/driver's air vent - neat. I lost my way exiting the service station - I suspect Dave wondered what he'd done - giving the keys to a knobber. hehe.gif

Being wary of my car's wiggly rear I didn't accelerate hard until it was straight on the motorway proper but by jiminy - it goes a bit. Licence losing territory in short order. Having no idea about turbo lag I was trying to find it. I'd assumed Dave knew how to drive a turbo properly which was why I had not noticed it earlier. I was sure I would experience it. I didn't. No skill or experience - I was quite 'rough' with it just planting my foot with no finesse - no lag. Instant on. Instant go.
Changed to A roads for a short while but we were not lucky traffic-wise. On the few occasions to test it, it handled extremely well; grips like a very grippy thing and the push out of corners is fun and addictive.

Each one of the upgrades is well specced in itself, but the whole is far greater than the sum of parts.
All in all, it's a fantastic car.
Congratulations to Dave and Fensport - all I need now is the dosh.

>>rattles tin<<

Grateful thanks to Dave.
Many wouldn't be so generous with their time or P&J - top bloke.

Taken from here: CLICK.

I've since had an AVO cat-back system, tein springs and a remap by Fensport. A little about it here: CLICK (4 August post).

I worked for Toyota I drove them they are crap harsh ride so gutless I could go to sleep at the wheel and they drop valves.buy the Subaru model its better,but for gods sake put a damn turbo on the thing,wish I still had my 400 horse celica now that did go well

Hehe. Each to their own. What were you, chief sweeper upper? :naughty:

Learn how to drive it properly and you may be rewarded.

• 8 months later...

My Toyota dealer's salesman said that the only difference between them is the engine, so why do you say the Subaru is better?

In fact Subaru build both the BRZ and the GT86, and apart from cosmetic differences are identical.

• Like 1

My Toyota dealer's salesman said that the only difference between them is the engine, so why do you say the Subaru is better?

The engine is the same.

There may be a slight difference in geo setup but they're otherwise identical.

As above, made in the same Subaru factory.

• Like 1

Thanks FROSTYBALLS & lordgrover, I don't say that you are wrong but my Toyota dealer's salesman said that Toyota make the car except for the engine, so I will have to beware of his honesty.

Heh. It's the other way round. Toyota modified the injection system for Subaru.

• 5 months later...

If you are looking for muscle though, its probably not for you. Your
money would be better spent on top spec German coupe that's a couple of
years old, but be prepared to blend into the crowd! I still have only
seen a handful of GT86's and all the drivers give a friendly wave or nod
as you pass each other!