Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Key Fob Not Working And Warning Sound Is On

Sniipe

When I open the door with the key in I get a warning buzzer. Thats normal. However I now get the sound without the key in the ignition and the light are off and nothing is on.

Then I noticed that my zapper isn't working. The light on the key indicates that it is working, but its not opening the car without putting the key in the door. Thankfully the key works in the ignition also.

I've a Battery ordered for my zapper but I'm just wondering if anything else could be wrong?

Thanks

Found this it may help...

1. Driver door open and unlocked. Key out of the ignition

2. Insert the key and remove 2 times in 5 sec.

3. Close and open driver door 2 times in 40 sec.

4. Insert the key and remove it again from ignition.

5. Close and open driver door 2 times in 40 sec.

6. Insert the key in ignition,

7. Close the door,

8. Turn to on and back to lock in 1 second intervals. 1 time for add, 2 times for rewrite, 3 for confirmation 5 for prohibition. (yes, there is no ?4?)

9. Remove the key

10. Power lock will cycle to confirm

11. For add or rewrite mode within 40 sec of the confirmation,

A. press ?lock? and ?unlock? buttons of the FOB at the same time between 1 and 1.5 seconds.

B. within 3 sec press ?Lock? button for more than 1 sec and release.

C. If it?s correct, the power door lock will cycle once. If it?s wrong the door lock will cycle twice.

If that failed to work try this way...

1 Start: Driver's door open and unlocked. Key not inserted in the ignition.

2. Insert key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.

3. Do the following with the driver's door: shut, open, shut, open, all within 40 secs.

4. Insert key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.

5. Repeat step 3.

6. Close driver's door.

7. Insert key in ignition

8. Turn key from Lock to On and back to Lock with a 1 second interval. The number of times you do this will select the desired programming mode: Once for ADD key, twice for REWRITE all keys, 3 times for CONFIRMATION, 5 times for PROHIBITION.

9. Remove key from ignition.

10. As verification of mode selection (except in Confirmation mode), the electric door locks will lock and unlock a number of times corresponding to the mode chosen in step 8.

(If Confirmation mode is selected, the doors will lock/unlock a number of time corresponding to the number of remote controls programmed into the system.)

11. For ADD and REWRITE modes: within 25 seconds after the locks have confirmed the selected mode:

(a) Hold down the LOCK button on the new remote control whilst at the same time pressing UNLOCK 5 times.

( B) Release and press LOCK once.

© if the procedure has been performed correctly, the door locks will go from lock to unlock. If not, start from 1 again.

(d) To enter additional remotes, repeat from step (a).

12. Open driver's door to complete the procedure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply Raistlin, I followed your instructions; I didn't work for me. It didn't cycle the door locks to confirm I was in write/rewrite mode. Over the Christmas the fob worked and the door warnings stopped but only for a few minutes.

Then today I left my lights on, the warning for the doors came on as normal however I ignored it as it always warns me these days. Anyway when jump starting the car I noticed that the positive lead on my Battery was loose. When I fixed this the fob worked and the warning went. So fingers crossed the resolution was just the tightening of the Battery lead.

I've got two remotes (key fobs) for my Avensis 2006. Till now I used just one of them but recently Unlock started working after few attempts and finally stopped at all. In spite of red light of remote flashed when pressed any button I thought Battery is flat and opened remote, but Battery was OK. After assembled remote, again the same, Unlock doesn't work.

I started use other remote with no problem.

So, two questions:

1. Generally speaking, is always necessary after Battery change to reprogram remote? (I red some people complain after battery change, remote stopped working and needs programming). Is it common case?

2. If I try both ways (Raistlin suggested) to program it, what mode to choose from steps 8?

1 time for add,

2 times for rewrite,

3 for confirmation

5 for prohibition.

I mean what different modes mean?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

good questions Japcar. I wondered that myself, but I didn't get to that stage. I recommend you try rewrite, sure the key isn't working now so what harm is it?

I got an answer for my problem today. The Toyota garage in Galway, Ireland only charged me €40 to fix my issue which was that the ignition switch has a flap which wasn't closing properly, so they fixed this up for me. I don't know if they had to reprogram the key, but I got it back and all is well now... except that my catalytic converter isn't working so well. But I might get away without repairing that for a bit... otherwise its €700 to repair.

Rory,

There is a guy outside galway breaking alot of toyotas (buys good cars, no engine lights on) and he will surely have one for ya.

I only recently got an entire exhaust for 90 quid inc cat. Light off now on the corolla.

In saying that, i had put an engine in myself out of a later corolla to get rid of the oil burning.

How has your cat failed is the question, are you consuming oil at a good rate.

good questions Japcar. I wondered that myself, but I didn't get to that stage.

Sorry I forgot to give feedback here how solved the problem. I red another forum and everybody said after change Battery it should works without reprogramming. So regardless of I've measured voltage of old Battery (3.1V) and thought it was OK, I decided to change it and bingo- remote started working again.

I suppose:

- old Battery had 3.1V but without load, probably no enough current...

- bad contact somewhere and after replacing battery somehow restored...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links