Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Tourer 1.8 2011 Noisy Suspension Low Speed

teddybear

Hi there.

I have a 2011 Avensis Tourer 1.8 Petrol. Recently over the last few months it has been clonking over small bumps. Anyting from 15-20 mph hit a small imperfection in road of which there is many around here in Kenilworth you hear a knocking noise from the front left i think. (maybe not very hard to tell.) YOu can even hear over a realtively loud radio.

Mr T has checked the car at least twice and all safety checks pass. All bolts checks. No play in balljoints. Track Rod end. Anti roll bars etc. Or at least so they say. It dont sound like coming from back of car but i could be wrong.

The car has done 25K.

I have owned citroens in the past and know they habit of burning through AntiRoll bar links and the odd track end or even lower suspension arms along with Anti roll bar bushes etc. That was in cars over the 100K or ones around 75K just the Anti roll bar droplinks.

While they have agreed they can hear a fault, they cant find in and Toyota will only replace faulty components under warranty not what they think is at fault and cant prove.

At motorway speeds or A roads it sounds great. What is weird is the odd pothole on either side you dont hear the noise. You only appear to hear it when done a few bumps especially side to side.

Wondering if to get a 2nd mr T check from another dealer or a independant that i have used for my Citroen and Honda who are always very helpful and charge reasonable prices.

Mr T always been very good with customer service giving the car a valet even after just a check but i want the problem fixed as it just dont sound right.

Someone posted a while ago about a hollow rattle from their car when travelling slow, IIRC it turned out to be worn brake caliper sliders. BTW I also suffered this on a T25.

Someone posted a while ago about a hollow rattle from their car when travelling slow, IIRC it turned out to be worn brake caliper sliders. BTW I also suffered this on a T25.

That was me! Fixed metallic rattling coming from the brakes, but going over rough ground something else clonks.

There is another thing you could check, remove the rubber bung in the centre of the 3 nuts at the top of the suspension leg on the inner wing and check if the nyloc nut is fully tightened, I have experienced this in the past, even a quarter turn from fully tightened will cause the fault/noise you decribe. Apart from that I agree with Alan about the brake sliders or loose pads.

Regards

Pete.

• Like 1

There is another thing you could check, remove the rubber bung in the centre of the 3 nuts at the top of the suspension leg on the inner wing and check if the nyloc nut is fully tightened, I have experienced this in the past, even a quarter turn from fully tightened will cause the fault/noise you decribe. Apart from that I agree with Alan about the brake sliders or loose pads.

Regards

Pete.

Thanks, will look into this.

Hi there.

I have a 2011 Avensis Tourer 1.8 Petrol. Recently over the last few months it has been clonking over small bumps. Anyting from 15-20 mph hit a small imperfection in road of which there is many around here in Kenilworth you hear a knocking noise from the front left i think. (maybe not very hard to tell.) YOu can even hear over a realtively loud radio.

Mr T has checked the car at least twice and all safety checks pass. All bolts checks. No play in balljoints. Track Rod end. Anti roll bars etc. Or at least so they say. It dont sound like coming from back of car but i could be wrong.

The car has done 25K.

I have owned citroens in the past and know they habit of burning through AntiRoll bar links and the odd track end or even lower suspension arms along with Anti roll bar bushes etc. That was in cars over the 100K or ones around 75K just the Anti roll bar droplinks.

While they have agreed they can hear a fault, they cant find in and Toyota will only replace faulty components under warranty not what they think is at fault and cant prove.

At motorway speeds or A roads it sounds great. What is weird is the odd pothole on either side you dont hear the noise. You only appear to hear it when done a few bumps especially side to side.

Wondering if to get a 2nd mr T check from another dealer or a independant that i have used for my Citroen and Honda who are always very helpful and charge reasonable prices.

Mr T always been very good with customer service giving the car a valet even after just a check but i want the problem fixed as it just dont sound right.

I had what sounds like the same problem on my 2011 tourer it was the splines on the steering column which where worn and causing the noise. not a recall on this model but the dealer said they had done quite a few of them for this fault.

My steering Column was replaced under Warranty about 15mths ago as the steering went very heavy intermittently at low speeds. It appears fine at moment. I would hope a new column could not do that in such a short time. in my 20 years of driving never had a steering column replaced and i have driven many older cars from Rovers to Fords and citroens.

I have been driving a lot more than 20 years and never had a steering column replaced before this one but Toyota do seem to be having problems with them of late.

Mine slowly got worse and was very difficult to trace until it got to the point where you could rock the steering wheel and hear the knock in the column.

Got a un-expected call from Mr T. They want my car in on Friday for approx 2 days and will provide a courtesy car. Technical bulletins reviewed and they want to check each one. Advisery don't match my chasis number but they want to check.

1) Torque setting on Suspension Mounting.

2) Brake pad shimmer (although i have 17" alloys and it dont normally apply on them)

3) Check steering column again.

I call that good service so will see what happens.

• Like 1

Got a un-expected call from Mr T. They want my car in on Friday for approx 2 days and will provide a courtesy car. Technical bulletins reviewed and they want to check each one. Advisery don't match my chasis number but they want to check.

1) Torque setting on Suspension Mounting.

2) Brake pad shimmer (although i have 17" alloys and it dont normally apply on them)

3) Check steering column again.

I call that good service so will see what happens.

Keep us posted please very interested in this.

All fixed a happy man. Loose bolts on upper left suspension mount. Bolts replaced and tightened to correct torq settings. Well Done Listers Toyota Coventry for excellent service. Looking to Buy a second hand Yaris i think soon.

I would like to go out and purchase a deep ended spanner to tighten the bolt in the middle of the strut. Does anyone know what size it is please?

thanks.

I presume those are the ones. Sorry i dont know what size the bolts are. I wish i had known i still own a very decent socket set and torque wrench. They dont come out to play these days too busy with life and children. The days of me playing under trolley jacks and axle stands are long gone until i buy an old car again

• Like 1

I presume those are the ones. Sorry i dont know what size the bolts are. I wish i had known i still own a very decent socket set and torque wrench. They dont come out to play these days too busy with life and children. The days of me playing under trolley jacks and axle stands are long gone until i buy an old car again

No worries, car is in for a service at the end of the month at my local Toyota dealer. I will remove the panel prior that conceal the strut tops and ask them to kindly check the torque. I don't really have time to fiddle either, just recently paid someone to rotate wheels from back to front. Great family car though, trouble is it is that quiet it is easy to notice unusual noises. :-)

As I usually say ... always go for the simple things first, a lifetime in the trade has proved this soooo many times :-))))

Regards and all the very best to everyone on the forum for Christmas and the New Year :newyear:

Pete :goof:

• Like 1

As I usually say ... always go for the simple things first, a lifetime in the trade has proved this soooo many times :-))))

Regards and all the very best to everyone on the forum for Christmas and the New Year :newyear:

Pete :goof:

Actually thinking outside the box, I can use one of my sockets to obtain the size of the nut.

Merry Christmas too.