Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 4.3 Gearbox, Clutch Issue

kimbos

I have a 2007 xtr with 56000 miles on the clock, when I change from 1st to 2nd it feels almost like the clutch isnt disengaging properly and it doesnt change into 2nd very smoothly. Are there any fixes or is it a peculiarity of the vehicle.

The change from 1st to 2nd can be baulky especially when the engine is cold. Check that there's nothing preventing full clutch movement. If it's really bad - matters can be improved by adjusting the gear change linkage. The gearbox oil on this model must be a 75W, - it's not east to obtain and if the box is refilled with a multigrade - gear change is awful. It is, however, very unlikely to be an issue since the gearbox oil on this model isn't required to be changed on the service schedule.

Our 4-3 had a terrable 1st to 2nd when cold, would creep forward, must have been the oil as when it had it's 20000 I complained, got the usual crap they all do that, when I got it back no more creeping, except from the creep behind the counter,

B-A

Mine is much the same Kim, quite clunky when cold but is much better when warmed up. (89000 miles)

Theres a difference between a clunky / baulky gear change and the creep forward described by Battleaxe. If the car creeps with your foot to the floor on the clutch - the clutch drive plate isn't disengaging properly. With such a condition, it's often impossible to move into reverse gear without crunching. Sometimes this is the result of excessive clutch free play - this can be adjusted.

DJ. the creep happend on the flat, either after just starting the engine or coming to a halt i.e at traffic lights with the clutch disengaged, when the engine was cold, once hot it went away, so in conclusion the oil was dragging the drive system, once the g/box oil was changed the problem disappeared.

B-A

ps. forgot to say I park in gear without the hand brake on.

With the clutch disengaged - there isn't a connection between the engine to the gearbox and thereafter the wheels. If the car creeps with the clutch pressed to the floor - there is an issue with the clutch or it's adjustment. If adjustment doesn't cure the problem, there is something amiss with the clutch assembly or hydraulic system. In terms of the clutch itself - the problem is often failure of the clutch plate hub to slide properly on the gearbox shaft so it doesn't fully clear the flywheel / clutch cover and continues to transmit some drive with the clutch pedal depressed. The gearbox oil issue is something different - incorrect oil causes the gearbox to malfunction so that it doesn't change gear cleanly.

sorry, slip, ment with foot off clutch and the car in neutral, as you point out nothing should be engaged but never the less it still used to creep forward, never tried it in reverse, as you know the gearbox first motion shaft will be wirling, and if the oil is of a to heavy viscosity it could be causing a grag on the rest of the shaft, my point in the first place was after the oil was changed in goes from first to second with no crunching and no creeping

Yes - the wrong oil causes the problem you describe - other owners have had the same issue. It's very important to use 75W oil in this particular gearbox and nothing else. It's not that easy to find 75W transmission oil (around £17 a litre from Toyota) - hence the temptation to refill with a multigrade.

I have a bit of a crunchy gearchange and when mentioned to a Toyota dealer on a service was told clutch is non adjustable on 4.3?

I have a 2007 xtr with 56000 miles on the clock, when I change from 1st to 2nd it feels almost like the clutch isnt disengaging properly and it doesnt change into 2nd very smoothly. Are there any fixes or is it a peculiarity of the vehicle.

I have exact same model/year. No consolation to you, but although mentioned by a few on here, mine has never been anything but smooth on all gear changes. Therefore, don't accept it as "normal", something isn't right. Def go for the obvious gear oil change and make sure you use the correct "as recommended" type etc. Unless you've gone it yerself, you don't know that's in there for certain. See what happens after that.

Some 4.3's are fine - others do suffer from gear baulk but it's usually possible to make a significant improvement. There is pedal height and free play adjustment on the clutch pedal. Excessive free play leads to the engagement / disengagement point being too close to the floor. As pointed out by DjRav - you need to be absolutely sure that the gearbox oil is the correct spec.