Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis T Spirit 2.0 D4D Vsc/trc Engine Management Lights On

JFP1970

Apologies but I am a forum and car noob.

I know little about cars as most of my life I have ridden motorbikes or used public transport (trains). However I have a Avensis T-Spirit 2.0 D4D (53 Plate), I mistakenly hit the TRC off button this morning and the vsc, trc off and engine management lights came on. According to the manual to turn them back on I just press the button again. However this is making no difference, all three lights are still on.

Now I have spent the last 40 minutes reading the numerous posts on here about people with similar faults but there doesnt seem to be a definative answer.

The lights are on but I see and feel no difference in the cars performance, no power blips no loss of power/steering or handling.

I cannot afford to send to Mr T so am hoping that someone on here can give me a clear line of things to investigate. I notice people on here talking about buying a OBD2 tester, I can do this if needed and reccomended.

I really like this car, it is so comfortable to drive has great economy, power and eats up the miles on long distances and this is the first real fault I have had.

Mate, cars cost cash once in a while and the systems you are having problems with are safety systems. If you can't afford a Toyota dealer then at least get an independent chap to have a look - if only as a diagnostic. All the money in the world is no help when you're upside down in a water filled ditch.

Hi John,

last year I found the same lights trc, vsc eng mang kept illuminating, had the car serviced mot, d no change they still kept appearing then going off. I now chuck a bottle of redex diesel additive in every other full tank. Fingers crossed I, ve had no lights coming back on for last 6months.

tesco periodically sell it for £2 a bottle. Give it a try. Good luck

thanks for advice, I am not scared to spend money and am happy to pay for independant to investigate but was trying to eliminate anything I could do first.

As it happens I followed one of the other forum suggestions and disconnected the Battery for 15 minutes. When I plugged it back in the lights cleared when the ignition was turned on and engine started. Therefore this is pointing more to a dodgy switch than the systems themselves.

Thanks again and again any further advice is always appreciated.

Id recommend you get a diagnostic code reader on the car.

I had the same lights come on in my 54reg 2.0 d4d tspirit. Diagnostic came up with a glow plugs fault. Had em all changed and all's been well since.

Im not sure that the VSC/TRC are even correlated to anything other than their respective control systems (stability/traction)

Hows the steering wheel? is it crooked? and have you had the tracking adjusted lately or hit/bumped kerb etc?

My own problem with the vsc/trc lights arose from a shoddy track job (didn't take it back there) as a result of only one track rod being adjusted instead of having them equalized. The steering angle sensor then reports an anomaly as it conflicts with the data from the yaw-rate sensor.So crooked steering=crap track job+ VSC/TRC lights.

Id recommend you get a diagnostic code reader on the car.

I had the same lights come on in my 54reg 2.0 d4d tspirit. Diagnostic came up with a glow plugs fault. Had em all changed and all's been well since.

I had two glow plugs gone but no MIL on , no VSC/TRC light on, I forgot to check with code reader for stored errors, just changed faulty glow plugs. (56 reg 2.0)

What code gave your code reader for glow plugs and had your MIL on at the same time with VSC/TRC light?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links