Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has My Battery Come To The End Of Its Life?

llith

Driving my 2005 (97000miles)RAV D4D tonight three warning lights came up, fuel filter, oil low and Battery.On my way to Tesco ,parked, checked the oil level, was on the bottom mark.Bought some oil in the shop and put some fresh oil in.Car started fine but the lights did not go off.On my way home ,car drived ok,another set of lights came on momenteraly,VSCTRC and the one next to it.Arrived home parked on the drive stopped the engine ,tried to restart ,not enough juice in the Battery to start.put the main lights on were ok but as soon as I tried to start the car they dimmed right down.

So I suspect my 8yr 3 month old Battery needs replacing,but why all the warning lights and not just the battery light.

Anyone had similar problems when the battery came to the end of its life?

Thanks for looking

When the Battery voltage drops off - it causes problems with electronics which require a higher voltage to function properly and random warning lights etc appear. Search this forum for Battery advice - some batteries listed for the D4D are too small in capacity.

It sounds like an issue with the Battery, although it might be worth getting it tested before you purchase a new one...

It seems the alternator has failed.Another post on here mentions the same three warning lights that illuminated when the alternator failed,the car has done 97000 miles so I would expect it to be this.Any ideas on cost of buying and fitting a replacement.Thanks to both who replied to my post so far.Merry Xmas to all members of this forum.

Normally if it's a Battery it won't start in the morning , if it plays up Whilst driving it's normally the alternator if u get wot I mean

Fitted a new Battery fully charged,started ok.Put on the wipers and full beam for 5 min while engine was still running went for a quick half mile drive.Stopped the engine tried to restart ,would not as the Battery had very little charge.Hooked up a mains charger to the Battery for a couple of hours ,tried to start the car ,started first time.

Question: will a fully charged battery take me to Mr T, 20 miles in daytime (no lights on ) dry (not use wipers) to replace the faulty alternator.THe power steering is belt driven and not electrical so should be OK

Dont realy know u may be lucky it will run 4 a few miles ! Good luck

It's easy to test an alternator. First check the obvious things like belt tension, security of Battery connectors and cleanliness / tightness of electrical connectors on the alternator. Connect a voltmeter across the Battery terminals, start the engine and switch on main beam. Increase the engine speed slowly to 2000RPM - the voltage should rise and stabilise at around 14.2 - 14.7 volts. If the voltage doesn't increase - the alternator is strongly suspect. If the voltage rises to about 15 volts or more - the voltage regulator within the alternator is faulty. This will damage to the Battery and result in premature failure of vehicle bulbs. Toyota is an expensive source of replacement starter motors and alternators - similar quality exchange units are available at less than half the price.

• Like 1

Update : Charged my new Battery overnight .Started the rav with help from my wifes car Battery.Bright sunny conditions so drove the 20 miles to Mr T with fingers crossed that the Battery charge would get me there with zero intput from the alternator.Lucky really that the power steering is belt driven and not electrical on my model.No problem, arrived with the wife following in her car.Saved on recovery fees.New alternator arrives on Tuesday £428 inclusive of fitting and VAT was the price quoted.

Many thanks to the input from you guys and a happy new year to all .

Should also have said that many alternators on Toyotas are fitted with an OAP. These can fail in one of two ways and before condemning an alternator, it's necessary to check that the OAP is still transmitting drive to the alternator shaft. The OAP can be replaced without removing the alternator.

Should also have said that many alternators on Toyotas are fitted with an OAP. These can fail in one of two ways and before condemning an alternator, it's necessary to check that the OAP is still transmitting drive to the alternator shaft. The OAP can be replaced without removing the alternator.

OAP ?

I just looked up OAP overriding alternator pulley for my own interest, found a clip on you tube but can't post up.

OAP = over-riding alternator pulley. There's a one way clutch built into the alternator pulley and works like a free-wheel on a bike. Allows the alternator to decouple from the drive under certain conditions - this makes the drive much smoother and reduces wear and tear on the drive belt and other components. Very common on alternators over the last few years - but like other new developments, can and do fail in service!

• Like 1

OAP = over-riding alternator pulley. There's a one way clutch built into the alternator pulley and works like a free-wheel on a bike. Allows the alternator to decouple from the drive under certain conditions - this makes the drive much smoother and reduces wear and tear on the drive belt and other components. Very common on alternators over the last few years - but like other new developments, can and do fail in service!

Top man :)

Thanks for that , but if my alternator has done 97000 miles could it be on the way out.My RAV reached 80000 miles before any major costs other than tyres and annual servicing when the DMF went . Had it welded to be a fixed mass flywheel and fitted a new clutch even though the old one was only one third worn,lasted 17000 miles up to now.At 90000 miles had to replace the SCV valves I think that I can say that I have been happy with the reliability of the RAV and it goes into the best car I have ever owned category.Had it from new when I bought it at £3000 below the list price in 2005.It has suited my lifestyle for the last 8+ years and will find it hard to replace in a year or two's time.To be honest I do not fancy the new RAV and inclined to go for a Freelander .

Thanks for that , but if my alternator has done 97000 miles could it be on the way out.My RAV reached 80000 miles before any major costs other than tyres and annual servicing when the DMF went . Had it welded to be a fixed mass flywheel and fitted a new clutch even though the old one was only one third worn,lasted 17000 miles up to now.At 90000 miles had to replace the SCV valves I think that I can say that I have been happy with the reliability of the RAV and it goes into the best car I have ever owned category.Had it from new when I bought it at £3000 below the list price in 2005.It has suited my lifestyle for the last 8+ years and will find it hard to replace in a year or two's time.To be honest I do not fancy the new RAV and inclined to go for a Freelander .

Having experienced one of those wonderful JLR products I would offer only two bits of advice:

1. Keep your AA/RAC sub up to date.

2. Go for the nicest interior furnishings - they make you more comfy whilst you wait for the AA/RAC van.

• Like 2

Having experienced one of those wonderful JLR products I would offer only two bits of advice:

2. Go for the nicest interior furnishings - they make you more comfy whilst you wait for the AA/RAC van.

We can safely say that you are not a Freelander fan then.LOL

Update: Picked the RAV this morning from Mr T with the new alternator £434 fitted.Compare this with £420 quoted for just the alternator without fitting from Halfords. More bad news water pump on its way out so will have to wait until 100 000 miles service to fit it , in about 3 months another £400 for pump and cam belt on top of the service.If you average all the cost over the car's 8+ yr life doing approx 12000 annualy its not too bad

We can safely say that you are not a Freelander fan then.LOL

Update: Picked the RAV this morning from Mr T with the new alternator £434 fitted.Compare this with £420 quoted for just the alternator without fitting from Halfords. More bad news water pump on its way out so will have to wait until 100 000 miles service to fit it , in about 3 months another £400 for pump and cam belt on top of the service.If you average all the cost over the car's 8+ yr life doing approx 12000 annualy its not too bad

Every time our 4.2 auto went in for service with Mr.T from about its 4th birthday, it got an advisory about the water pump "weeping" and possibly needing imminent replacement. It only got replaced at 9 years old when the serpentine belt broke and needed replacing - it made sense to do the pump then as a precautionary measure which would have been done even if it hadn't been "weeping" for the previous 5 years, seeing as the belt was off anyway.

And yes, I must admit to despising the green oval's products with a vengeance. The freeloader was probably the single greatest pile of excrement I'd ever had the misfortune to get involved with. The list of its failings would fill a couple of A4 pages culminating with finally rendering it 2WD after having to disconnect the propshaft rather than pay a king's ransom for the repairs needed to the transfer box. I always find it highly amusing when the various Brtitish motor mags fawn over these pieces of unabridged shoite.

Other than that though, I'm sure they're fine.

• Like 1