Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oil Level

IanIanIanIan

In the Generation 2 Prius it was received wisdom to keep the engine oil level a few millimetres below full on the dipstick to help minimise fuel consumption.

Does the same apply to the Generation 3?

No reason for what you say you do with regard to engine oil. My Gen 2 & now my Gen 3 are replenished only at service intervals to the full mark. I have never added any oil betweeen servces.

Don't knock until you have tried it. Facta Non Verba.

Many, many Prius owners have seen a significant increase in their MPG by reducing the oil level in a Gen2 to 3-4 mm below the upper dipstick mark. I gained 3-5 MPG by doing so. Also overfilling (constantly done by garages) has a very noticeable penalty on MPG as well as other drastic outcomes. NOT recommended.

Have a Google for "Prius oil level" and "Prius oil overfill" Read the comments of the Prius owners and ignore those from people who drive other marques and so have never tried it.

In the Generation 2 Prius it was received wisdom to keep the engine oil level a few millimetres below full on the dipstick to help minimise fuel consumption.

Does the same apply to the Generation 3?

The specification says (as it has for every car that I've ever owned) is that it should be between the min and max marks on the dip stick. If you were replacing the oil yourself, then you would aim for the oil level to be in the middle between the min and max marks (unless you knew the engine was using oil).

The reason for the oil level to be just below the max mark is because the dealer sells oil by the litre.

"The reason for the oil level to be just below the max mark is because the dealer sells oil by the litre".

Mine is on a maintenance contract, so it would be in the dealers interest to put in less oil, but they always fill it to just below the "Full" mark".

"The reason for the oil level to be just below the max mark is because the dealer sells oil by the litre".

Mine is on a maintenance contract, so it would be in the dealers interest to put in less oil, but they always fill it to just below the "Full" mark".

Applying logic to a financial product, that'll never catch on? Most likely your maintenance contract is with a separate company. The service, sales and internal finance depts within the dealer are likely to separate as well.

Beware, as many owners have found, oil consumption can increase as mileage approaches and passes 100k.

My 2nd Gen 1, which had 163k on the clock when I sold it, needed a slight top up at 100k, and by the time I sold it needed 1 litre at about 6000 miles after a service (I waiting until it reached "Min") to take it comfortably to the next one.