Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Bearing(Front)

Holywood56

Anybody change a front wheel bearing? My mate done the lefthand side for me and the drivers side is going and I was thinking of doing it myself. Any tips?

Get your mate back :)

Found this it may help...

Front Wheel Bearing and Hub Replacement
Tools Required
J 42129 Wheel Hub Remover (this is a fairly generic tool you can rent from some parts stores - you may or may not need this tool - you won't know for sure until you remove the hub nut as outlined below)

Removal Procedure

Raise and support the vehicle.

Remove the tire and wheel.

Disconnect the wheel speed sensor electrical connector (2), if equipped.

Remove the wheel speed sensor electrical connector from the bracket, if equipped.

Remove the front wheel drive shaft nut. Insert a drift or flat-bladed tool into the caliper and rotor to prevent from turning.
Remove the brake rotor.

(Removing the dront driveshaft nut is going to be the hardest part of the repair. It is a large nut - 36mm if I remember correctly - and torqued to over 140 ft lbs)

Use 3 wheel nuts in order to attach the J 42129 to the wheel bearing/hub.

Use the J 42129 in order to push the wheel drive shaft out of the wheel bearing/hub.

(often times the drive shaft will push out of the hub with only hand pressure - the older and more rust on it, the more likely you are to need the tool to overcome the rust)

Remove and DISCARD the wheel bearing/hub bolts. Remove the J 42129 from the hub.
Important: Ensure that the wheel drive shaft outer seal/boot is not damaged.

Remove the wheel bearing/hub and splash shield-noting the position of the shield for re-installation.

Installation Procedure

Install the wheel bearing/hub with the splash shield as noted during removal.

Caution: These fasteners MUST be replaced with new fasteners anytime they become loose or are removed. Failure to replace these fasteners after they become loose or are removed may cause loss of vehicle control and personal injury.

Install NEW wheel bearing/hub bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the NEW wheel bearing/hub bolts to 130 N·m (96 lb ft).

Install the brake rotor and caliper.

Install the front wheel drive shaft nut. Insert a drift on a flat-bladed tool into caliper and rotor to prevent the rotor from turning.
Tighten
Tighten the front wheel drive shaft nut to 160 N·m (118 lb ft).

Important: Ensure that the connector clip engages the bracket properly.

Install the wheel speed sensor electrical connector to the bracket, if equipped.

Connect the wheel speed sensor electrical connector (2), if equipped.

This video is for an Avensis Verso but it will give you an idea...

• Like 1

One advice I can give is to spray some of the bolts with WD40 or similar penetrating fluid hours in advance, especially the ABS sensor bolt.

Another is to put copper ease on the ABS bolt on instillation.

There has been horror stories with the bolt shearing off. It happened to me but I was fortunate to use a drill and extractor to remove the remaining part of the bolt.

Another way around this is to disconnect the ABS sensor further up the loom.