Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Consumption (T22)

Mariius

I own Avensis T22 2001 D4D 2.0 81kw. On semptember, there was perffect amont of oil in the engine (normal amount), today, after ~6k or 7k kilometers of highway driving (~120km/h, 130km/h) with fully loaded car, my check oil light turned on and I had to fill my engine up with oil again. I had to put in about 0.7l of oil in order to make it at "normal" grade again.
I am worried, is this normal? I never owned a car before. Other people are saying that it is fairly normal for it to eat that much oil, but I am still worried, a lot. It doesn't feel like engine would be very tired, it goes pretty well, there are no noises, it passed all the exhaust gas checks without any issues, everything seems to be more then fine.
Do you have any ideas/tips?

Toyota would say that's normal. Abnormal would be over 1l/1000km .

I have only had petrol toyotas, but to me it sounds like your car burns rather lot of oil. Have you looked under the car when it is parked?

Heidfirst, are you sure about those oilconsuming figures? As the oil change interval is 15 000 km it means it is normal to fill 15 liters between the oil changes. I believe you meant 1 l / 10 000 km.

Nope, I meant 1l/1000Km.

The Toyota TSB for the 1.8VVVTi burning oil came out iirc when they started using over 1l/700km.

The TSB for the AD D4D (his should be a CD) engines says "Oil consumption worse than 0.5 litre per 621 miles (1,000 km)"

He's well within either at ~0.1 l/1000km

It is hard to believe those figures of toyota about normal oil consumption. But if you are very sure I have to accept those figures.

Yes he is within those figures, but for me it sounds like his car is rather high. If I had that oil consumption Iwould start looking for a leak around filter and also the drainplug. I would also look for leaks in general on the engine. Gaskets might be old ormisplaced if there has been any job done with the engine.

For what it's worth, my last 3 company cars have all been Avensis D4D 2 litres. They were:

2006 inherited it at 26k miles, went back at 80k miles.

2009 got it brand new, it went back at 151k miles.

2013 got it brand new, so far it has 21k miles.

I think I put some oil in the 2006 car but I never put a drop of oil in the 2009 car. It was serviced every 10k miles and lived on motorways and A roads.

my 2007 2.2 used to need topping up between services - typically around the 8k mark.

That's not a lot of oil to add over 7-8000 km. I shouldn't worry too much but make a point of checking the oil level regularly just to prevent it from getting too low.