Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol Valvematic Engine....any Known Issues?

Pogle

I am considering changing my 4.2 for a 4.3. Might push the boat out and go for a later model with the valvetronic (as opposed to vvti) engine. Are there any gremlins in that engine?

Think Valvetronic timing gear is BMW's - Toyota's is Valvemetic. Title edited.

The V-matic (valvematic) engine has been around for a while but has only been fitted to the Rav since the introduction of the 4.4 range. It's an advancement of the VVti technology which didn't have any particular vices in later years - time will tell with the V-matic, but I wouldn't expect any significant problem. If you wanted the petrol version of the Rav4.4 then you'd be limited both to a CVT gearbox and the Icon model.

I thought the valvematic engine was fitted in the 4.3 petrol from about 2010?

If you can only have this Valvematic engine allied to solely their CVT gearbox, a very long test drive is called for.

Recently drove an Auris with said gearbox.........at least had time to light a fag between gearchanges........stopped smoking years ago......purely a figure of speech..........it was woeful.....

I think I can get a valvematic 4.3 manual in either 2wd or 4wd format. This is what I am considering unless Ive missed something?

So which are ye actually considering, Andy, if both available......?

Before I disappear, could somebody please enlighten me........WTF is the point of a front wheel ONLY Rav......?

One was for sale at local T..........FOR 5 months fgs.........it went tae market........

Kev, some people like the high up drving position combined with lower emissions and RFL and more mpg.

Personally I want the 4WD

David

Had sorta taken some of that into account David, but notwithstanding usual depreciation, the actual residual values seem to be bordering on the woeful in comparison to 4WD wans. Possibly the case that depreciation and residuals don't really kick in, as owners hold on to them for longer, knowing the market for them is......limited.

They are definitely cheap used so could make a good buy for someone but not for me!

I would probably prefer a 4wd but I wouldn't totally rule out a 2wd version. One of those with proper winter tyes on will go anywhere I need it to and it is cheaper, lighter, less to maintain etc. I've had winter tyres on "ordinary" cars for years and they can outperform 4wd vehicles if they are are on more road biased tyres. I dont go off road but I do live over 600 feet above sea level so snow is the only real issue for me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links