Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unknown Led On Dashboard

ThePermanentProject

Does anyone know what this LED represents?

Sometimes it flashes, sometimes it stays on permanently, sometimes it is off permanently off.

It doesn't seem to make any difference whether the key is in the ignition or not............

It seems to have something to do with the alarm.

It is on permanently now. Only the buttons on the key seem to make it go off. And the key buttons now don't work.

I have to open/lock the car with the key now - so every time i open the door, the alarm goes off. Which makes my neighbours hate me.

Any and all help gladly welcomed.............

post-120777-0-45414400-1387745803_thumb.

Would suggest its an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser system, that now may be faulty.

UK Celica's where fitted with a "port of entry" accessory alarm system called TVSS IV-D which integrated with the factory fit remote keys and immobiliser system see here: http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7B210286BA-A1E5-4C42-9AD7-F15D77BD8147%7D/TVSS%20IV-S%20RHD%202T4RT23-J-pdf1-02Oct02.pdf

The upper led is factory fit and is related to the immobiliser the lower is the accessory fit alarm "status monitor" which is having a tantrum because you are not disarming the alarm remotely and setting the system off by manually unlocking the car.

I owned a 1995 Celica GT a while back. On that version a similar LED situated just next to the digital clock high in the centre consul was the only indication for the factory fitted alarm system. It was off when the alarm was disabled and on constant (or maybe flashing continually - can't remember) when alarm enabled. On alarm unset (using the fob) it would either go out straight away or flash 1 or more times followed by a long period off then flash the same number of times again so that the number of flashes could be counted. This would then tell the owner what the alarm had experienced whilst the system was armed.

When I've got more time I'll see if I can find the decode table for this system. But for example ....

1 flash = Interior light operated (door opened?)

2 flashes = power interrupt

3 flashes = car jolted

Etc.

I hope this explains what I think this LED is for. Since you also have an LED clearly indicated SECURITY, I'm thinking the unidentified LED is an aftermarket item as the original has failed or was not good enough to satisfy insurance providers.

Hope you get to the bottom of it. Good luck.

Gary

• 1 month later...

Hmmm......

There is good reason why you have 'Guru' status on here Lee, isn't there...........thank you!

Unfortunately, removing the alarm ecu doesn't seem to have made a blind bit of difference to my alarm problem, but it is good to be able to exclude that as a cause.

If it is any help - this guy and me share all the same symptoms -

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/141408-tvss-iv-d-alarm-on-2001-celica-190-wont-disarm/

- only differences being my alarm is a TVSS IV-S, (not TVSS and i IV-D) and mine is a 140.

......open to any and all suggestions at the mo..............