Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Head Gasket 2007 2.2D4D

benjyboy

It seems there is a huge problem with these engines when the head gasket fails for no apparent reason. My car has 95k on the clock so I am anticipating the worst. Had the egr valve cleaned recently which was virtually choked with carbon. Has anybody any tips other than regular oil changes servicing etc that can prolong the life of this engine. A friend has a 53reg d4d 2.olitre which has 230k on the clock and still going strong. Can it be there are many 2.2 d4d engines out there with no problems where the owners are unaware of the fickleness of this engine.

Not ALL engines suffer. I have ~170K, no problems so far...

Cheers

TwoT

Hi

It seems i av same prob. Hav 2006 d4d2 from new. Was my company car and has a near perfect mdsh. 82000 on clock ab new egr valve fitted curtesy of toyota 75000. Took car for service recently and was told cyl head gasket had gone although i hadnt noticed any problems at the time. Toyota said due to age they wouldnt contribute to repair cost. Not happy about this as i would consider this a major design fault. Couldnt afford cost of repair so had car back and av run for last month and kept an eye on water level. All ok till this week when i had to add 1 ltr water. I av read about a product called steelseal which is supposed to repair head gaskets. Any one know about this

The 2003 Avensis used the previous CD series engine - later replaced with the AD series, which was affected by the head gasket problems.

See http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

Within the first post of the above topic, the Toyota guidelines are set out for dealing with the head gasket issues - these guidelines covered vehicles for 7 years or 111,846 miles (180,000km), whichever occurs sooner.

Unfortunately, there are now some vehicles which are beyond the guideline parameters, and which experience the head gasket issue.

Thanks for that info Frostyballs.

As i mentioned the egr valve, which had sooted up, was replaced within the extended warrenty period. However do you think that the toyota guidlines should av offered a part or full engine replacement

The guidelines only allow an engine replacement when, subject to the relevant technical service bulletins either head gasket failure or excessive oil consumption is confirmed.

Thanks for that Devon Aygo.

I wiil ask toyota why the egr valve was sooted up.

They do get sooted up over time. Thats one problem with Diesel engines and Diesel fuel burning is soot. Seeing as exhaust gas passes through the EGR, makes sense that over time it would get sooted up.