Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Using 10W30 Instead Of 5W30

BigMo82

As I'm sure most are aware my car is using oil. About a quart every 2500 miles. While I am happy to live with this as I only average 8000 miles a year I think it is burning the oil out of the exhaust. So my question is would using a slightly thicker oil help? I have seen in the manual and although they recommend 5w30 they say 10w30 is ok down to -18C which is colder then I think London will ever see.

Any ideas or advice is appreciated

Mo

You should try a thicker oil at running temperature, not at cold start, especially in Winter. EuroCarParts Triple QX 5W40 is "cheap as chips" at £12.49 for five litres, and may slow down the consumption.

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. Frostyballs I was in Halfords yesterday and did see that oil but couldn't figure out which one would go in my car because they had for use on Ford written on some of them and Saab on others. I'm not so clued up with engine oils and wasn't sure what I needed other then it having to be fully synthetic.

Mo

Looking at the Castrol website API SL spec seems to be equivalent to GM-LL-A-025 and GM-LL-B-025 - extract copied below:

"Is Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A3/B4 suitable for my car?
Approvals & Specifications:
API SL/CF
ACEA A3/B4
GM-LL-A-025
GM-LL-B-025"

From the Engine Oil topic pinned at the start of the Avensis club, your petrol Avensis requires API SL or SM spec oil - so I would say that the following would be OK for yours - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_907231_langId_-1_categoryId_165581

Assuming the Avensis already has 5W30 in the engine, what is the point of replacing "like for like"?.

So if my car is burning oil even after warming up I would be better off getting an oil that is thicker at running temperatures then one that is thicker at start up?

Mo

Yes. A 10W will increase engine wear at cold start, which is when the majority of engine wear occurs. A 40 viscosity oil will be slightly thicker at running temperature, which is where the early VVTi engine has its weakness with burnt deposits on the piston rings.

A 5W40 will be thin enough in Winter not to be too slow to circulate and protect..you're simply widening the "protection window" from 5W30.

I currently have 5w40 in my car (because it was cheap £10 for 4l) but before I had 10w40 and before that I had 5w30. I was actually happier with the 10w40 than the 5, but changed for winter temps really, and it was 6k service interval.

Don't get too sad about oil consumption. Look at this way, your car is nearly always running on fresh oil! I had a VVTi before the T22 and it used to ***** me off something rotten until I bought a case of oil at Halfords and stopped worrying!

Thanks for your replies. I am not sad about the oil consumption but more worried about the smoke I am getting as it can get quite embarrassing.

I have spoken to my mechanic who has suggested 5w40 or even 10w40 fully synthetic. Can anyone tell me where I can buy this from that will be compatible with my car? I have checked at eurocarparts and they only seem to offer 5w30 or 15w40 mineral oil which is compatible with my vehicle according to the registration plate check.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Mo

Thanks for the reply , can I confirm that oil is suitable for my car? I have a petrol Avensis. Also any ideas what oil I could get if I went for a 10w40? I can't see London getting colder then -8/-9 and 50% of the time my car is parked in an underground car park.

Thanks

Mo

Halfords do their own brand oil that I have been running in my track bike & van for years now. They also have a little information book listing the oils that are suitable for which car. Simples. Fairly cheap as well. Probably made by the same people as eurocarparts to be honest....

Thanks for the reply mate, I will pop into Halfords later. I did check online but with my registration it was only listing 5w30 fully synthetic oils. I went to euro car parts yesterday to pick up a Battery for the Estima and asked the guy at the counter about a thicker oil for my avensis.

His advice was to go 10w40 or even 15w40! But he said it would have to be part synthetic as apparently a fully synthetic thicker oil would cause issues with the catalytic convertor.

Mo

Scarlet I know what your thinking! Lol

Ok switched to 10w40 today, cleaned the PCV valve and changed the oil filter and..... It's made no difference what so ever!

What I have noticed is the car is taking longer to warm up over the last few months. I just drove back from the mechanics, did a 3 mile journey that took about 20 minutes and I wasn't upto temperature by the time I got home which I think is odd considering its 10C today.

Mo

How can you tell it's made no difference to your oil consumption if you only changed the oil today, Mo?.

Sorry mate I meant I'm still getting smoke from my exhaust.

Mo