Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Broken Down Ravs

Bezzer

Getting a bit worried now, was towing the caravan back yesterday from a Xmas break in Dorset and on the M40 around the Warwick area when I saw a family on the embankment and a broken down 4.2 Rav on the hard shoulder. Felt so sorry for them and just guessing it was probabbly one of the known 4.2 faults, DMF or whatever and that we were OK in our 4.3..

Then bugger me about 3 or 4 miles further on there was an 06 plate 4.3 broken down on the hard shoulder with the bonnet up and occupants on the embankment. :crazy: overheating, head gone???

Don't think I've ever seen a Rav at the side of the road before but 2 in just a few miles gives you food for thought when you've got another 100 miles of towing to go. Mine hasn't been a problem.... yet , but it makes you wonder when not if it's going to fail, love it to bits but seriously thinking about a change as the 7 year limit looms.

Just unlucky to see two in such a short distance I suppose, a none Toyota owner would not notice what make they were........

Recently I saw a Chauffeur in a big Merc on the side of the Motorway, followed just down the road by a Maserati driver getting into an AA wagon...even expensive cars break down

Kingo :thumbsup:

Not all owners are as savvy and look after their RAVs like what us members do, like

My Rav4 has now covered 128'000 miles, it's let me down ( actually stopped going ) just once in almost 8 years,and 100'000 of the miles I've done in it..

Yes , its " almost " stopped a few times, DMF failed but did so just as I reached the garage to get fixed, a pipe on the VSV split ( this was the one time it actually stopped the vehicle from working).

Then just this year , my starter played up & turbo blew, but with both issues I managed to limp to the dealership to get fixed, so the Rav was still going.

It still drives really nicely,and i'm proud to own such a lovely design as the 4.2 is.

• Like 1

If it was 5 door models, it was probably due to a lack of oiling those hinges!

• 2 weeks later...

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY HAVE HAD THE FOLLOWING PROBLEM ..I HAVE A TOYOTA RAV PETROL 4X4 2004

TWICE LATELY WHEN WE HAVE A FREEZE MY CAR STARTS NORMALLY BUT AS SOON AS I DRIVE OFF THE CAR STARTS JUMPING AND SURGING .I HAVE TO STOP AND LET IT WARM UP TOYOTA CANT FIND A FAULT ON THE DIAGNOSTIC MATCHINE

ANY IDEAS PLEASE

If it is an automatic, you have an ECU problem possibly......?

If manual, damp and cold could be exacerbating electrical problems with the coil packs attached to yer spark plugs.

Now ye see why everybody is asked for clear and concise vehicle details over there on the left, Stan man.....?

Presumably the car cold idles OK - i.e. idles at high RPM which drops off slowly to normal idle speed as the engine warms up? I've not seen it on a Rav, but the problem you describe is often due to a faulty coolant temperature probe - the one that feeds the ECU - so that the ECU doesn't enrich the mixture. An error code may not be generated since the probe may still be in range.