Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Driving A Tsport

Japmoto

Does anybody have any tips on how to correctly drive a corolla t-sport? Sounds like a daft question but I feel like I'm not driving it to its 189mph ability? Im not a speed demon but would like to know how to handle it properly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello Anne - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Topic moved to the Corolla club.

Thanks frosty balls.

Sorry new to this how do I read your post?

You have to drive most twin cams to the ragged edge, that's the price of decent fuel economy at the low rev end and performance at the top end. It does unfortunately mean that for showing off with fast overtaking you do have to work the gears more and make sure its close to or on the sports cam, when I'm wanting to be in a position to accelerate quickly I tend to hover over the 4k rev mark as I tend to want to feel the lift engage at 6.2k for the extra smile factor.

Obviously knowing the gears and the maximum speeds is quite important when down shifting as sometimes you will want to drop from 6th to 3rd or even 2nd. The car can quite happily cruise on the flat in 6th at 35mph without labouring the engine. I don't tend to like keeping it in 2nd from over 15mph, its just too noisy and jittery.

You can with fast shifting off the line change from 1st to 2nd to 3rd while keeping on the sports cam (in lift), 1st to 2nd is a little tricky but be warned it probably wont help your clutch or gearbox if you don't do it smoothly. It does mean though you have to take it up to its 8250rpm to give you enough time to change. unfortunately the peak torque I believe is actually around 7800rpm so passed this there isn't really much gain in terms of acceleration.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks FoxX, that was very interesting. How can I tell if the engine is on the sports cam, or does that happen at around 4k?

You have to drive most twin cams to the ragged edge, that's the price of decent fuel economy at the low rev end and performance at the top end. It does unfortunately mean that for showing off with fast overtaking you do have to work the gears more and make sure its close to or on the sports cam, when I'm wanting to be in a position to accelerate quickly I tend to hover over the 4k rev mark as I tend to want to feel the lift engage at 6.2k for the extra smile factor.

Obviously knowing the gears and the maximum speeds is quite important when down shifting as sometimes you will want to drop from 6th to 3rd or even 2nd. The car can quite happily cruise on the flat in 6th at 35mph without labouring the engine. I don't tend to like keeping it in 2nd from over 15mph, its just too noisy and jittery.

You can with fast shifting off the line change from 1st to 2nd to 3rd while keeping on the sports cam (in lift), 1st to 2nd is a little tricky but be warned it probably wont help your clutch or gearbox if you don't do it smoothly. It does mean though you have to take it up to its 8250rpm to give you enough time to change. unfortunately the peak torque I believe is actually around 7800rpm so passed this there isn't really much gain in terms of acceleration.

• 3 weeks later...

In a TSport you should feel a surge and a change in engine tone when you hit 6,200 revs, that is on the 'sports cam' or 'lift'

If you don't feel that surge there may be an issue with the vvti