Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Washer Fuses

sceh

My wipers work but the washers don't. There are two motors and neither shows a sign of life. Is fuse 14 for both the washer motors AND the wipers or is there another secret one for the washer motors? If not, it implies the motors (two of them) are both duff - seems odd for them both to be gone at the same time - hence the question about a fuse. Anyone know?

Thanks

I can answer part of my own question. According to the Haynes manual there is a single fuse called wiper. If the wipers work then the pump should. However, in keeping with a long tradition of unreliability, the Haynes manual shows a single pump and there are two...

I still seems odd that neither pump works though. I am not going to strip it down until I am clear that I need to.

As an aside, Haynes says that dismounting the bumper and the headlight is needed. BS. You take out two clips and two screws from the front of the inner wheel arch and it will bend enough to give clear access. Take the wheel of for a bit more freedom though.

I was under the impression that the Yaris was fitted with a single pump and had electrical connections that allowed it to operate in one direction for the front washer and the opposite direction for the rear washer

Can you physically see two pumps on your Yaris?

I think that Haynes may be correct :)

Haynes recommend dismounting bumper and headlight as they do not encourage owners to put force on components and bend them

I have another Yaris which is identical but due for scrap since the MMT box is duff. I dismounted two pumps from it. The Haynes wiring diagram shows a single one but this is not correct for these cars. I can see there are two in the other car but haven't done anything yet to gain access.

If not, it implies the motors (two of them) are both duff - seems odd for them both to be gone at the same time - hence the question about a fuse.

This could just be a bad earth connection at the motors.

My manual also shows one washer pump, but a washer switch for the front and another for the rear. I would think the early models reversed the pump direction for front and rear. However, my wife had a 2005 Yaris and there were definitely two washer pumps.

I would remove the connectors to these and put a 12v supply across each pump in turn to confirm they work. What can happen is, in frosty weather if you do not have enough additive in the washer fluid it will freeze, when you try to operate the washers the pump will rotate and strip the vanes from the impeller. Hence no washers! So verify the pumps work firstly, if they are OK and the 20A fuse is OK investigate the earth on the column switch. The Haynes manual is definitely for earlier models and has not been updated, no reference to electric power steering for instance

Regards Geoff Peace.