Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004-2005 Yaris Diesel.....typical Problems?

pattojones

I have a 2009/58 1.8VVTi Verso which is great, so I really like Toyota cars.

I am looking to buy a 54 or 05 plate Yaris as a second car. I am undecided between 1.0/1.3 petrol and the 1.4 diesel.

The reason for needing a second car is that I am due to start a new job in early March 14 and this will involve me commuting on a Monday morning and a Friday afternoon (87 miles in each direction along the M40).

My brain says get a diesel (even with a higher mileage) for the better MPG, etc but my gut says 'watch out!' (I've had diesel Mondeo's before and the injectors/DMF/EGR associated issues were expensive).

Do I need to be concerned by this on a Yaris? Are these issues like on a TDCi Mondeo? I appreciate the car will get 'a good run' as opposed to around town use which should help.

Thoughts?

If it's a Mark1 Yaris with the 1.4 engine, faults are few IF it has been serviced properly.

Just watch out for :

rattling timing chain *

water in oil - see radiator top *

hoses pressurising Head Gasket gone.

any sign of misfiring*

slipping clutch

corroded radiator - external fins missing etc.

*Basically abuse and lack of maintenance.

Well maintained 100k miles is nothing...

Lots have not been maintained.

The only real issues I've had with mine is the EGR and throttle body getting blocked with soot after a few years due to my mostly-city-driving (Really easy to DIY if you have some hex heads and a can of carb cleaner!) and a recurring squeal from the ancillaries belt in the mornings when it's damp.

The car doesn't have a DPF or DMF thankfully so driving it around the city at low RPM is fine unlike with newer D4Ds, but it does like to stretch its legs on a fast A-road or motorway now and then to blast out any crud that's built up. (Or you could just use V-Power diesel all the time! :lol:). If you're doing 87 mile commutes regularly that'll keep it running nicely :thumbsup:

As the wise fishy says, if you get one that's been looked after, it'll be rock solid. I think the most important thing with this car is changing the oil regularly.

IMHO the Mk1 Yaris D4D is one of the best 'normal' cars Toyota has ever made :yahoo:

It has a powerful engine for a car this size but is still cheap to insure and tax, is built incredibly well and has superb reliability, and despite being 10 years old still gives even the HSDs a run for their money in terms of economy!

• 2 weeks later...

My Yaris is a 2003 bottom of the range 3 door S. This is the Peugeot 205XLD for the noughties. It weighs 10% more than the 205 but has 25% more power and 55% more torque.

I have owned mine for fifteen months, it has a full dealer service history and everything works on it. My fuel economy, calculated on a tank by tank basis is 65.25 MPG with a best tankful of 68.33 MPG and a worst tankful of 59.91 MPG.

With 73 300 miles on the clock I expect many more years service from my little red roller skate.

• Like 1