Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor Starting Diesel Rav 4

Johnyboy

Hi to everyone,

Recently purchaced a 2004 diesel 4 door rav, one owner from new and full service history, it is in superb condition for its age and with 72 k on the clock seemed like a great buy at £4995.00. However starting is a problem in the mornings; starter has to spin the engine far more then one would expect before the engine fires up, we had a rav before and it was no way as bad as this one. Starter motor is fine, Battery and glow plugs brand new, i had them replaced.. Once running the engine runs sweet with plenty of power and no rattles. When engine is hot it starts some what better but still not as good as the last one. The other day the engine light came on and remained on for a day or two. Its very strange so does anyone have any ideas??????

Thanks, Johnyboy

Hi Johnyboy,

Sounds to me like the diesel fuel system is drawing in air and the system is having to rebleed its self after being parked up over night, easier onthe warm start because there has been less time for air to reenter system.

The most common part of the system to cause this probem is the return to tank side, or the fuel filter base not having been fitted with a new Oring seal.

Doug.

The most common part of the system to cause this probem is the return to tank side

mine is a bit of a poor starter too,what exactly do we need to do/check for this problem pse?

or do we need to fit a nrv somewhere inline?

stu

More likely the suction side between pump and tank one would have thought.

Keith

Hi to all,

The misleading thing about an air leak on the return side of the diesel system is air can be drawn in without diesel leaking out, and because of the self bleed system on the Rav4 and others if you turn over the engine enough it will seem to correct its self and run all day, until you park up for a few hours and pressure in the system is lost through the return side of the system and air takes its place, then as you turn over the engine to start it will take time to bleed out that air before it will regain pressure in the system.

Only then when the pressure in the common rail is correct will the injection computer signal flash out the injector on compresson stroke of the correct cylinder.

Doug.

• Like 1

Thanks, i think you are right, i guess i will have to get the pipe work looked at. Cheers, J

Anyone seen the ice truck on MSN home page (don't seem to be able to cut and paste this, sorry)

Can anyone oblige?

Bet they have cracked the cold starting

WARNING may be moved but thats OK

Del

• 1 month later...

Update on My 2004 Toyota RAV. Apparently its the suction control valves not working properly. Causes the spluttering on the intial first start up. Apparently toyota have made a new version of the SCV. I will have to bite the bullet; £500.

Hi there,

had a similar problem with my 4.2 d4d, there is no reason why you can't fit the original type denso scv's which are available from eBay at under £190 for the pair brand new. The valves that are on yours might be the originals so they have lasted for about ten years which isn't bad.

Not heard of any modified valves, so the choice is yours. The new denso valves from eBay cured my problem straight away.

Hope this helps