Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Year Did The Dashboard Readouts Change ?

jstallan

Hi,

Wife has a 2003 T3 1.0 Yaris and after 9 years of ownership I'm thinking of replacing it with something a little newer. Ideally I'm looking at a TR model 1.33 engine, 2009 or 2010 year plate. I've noticed the dashboard speedo dials tend to vary between the style she currently has (just numbers) and those of more traditional appearance (circles and needles) - any idea why the change and the month/year ?

I actually prefer the 'needle' type.

Thanks,

John

The second generation Yaris offered analogue style instruments in certain trim levels from launch.

The first generation Auris was similar with some trim levels offering the Optitron instruments, and some offering analogue. For example the 2009 1.33 TR had Optitron instruments whereas the 1.6 TR had analogue.

You're in luck then!

All the Mk3 Yaris' and facelift Mk2's have the dials. I personally prefer the more futuristic look of the digital dash but only the Mk1's and the Mk2 T2 have them :(

An exception are the T-Sport Yaris - They have only ever had dials.

So when did the mk2 facelift appear? Also, what extra/difference did the facelift give?

Thanks for the answers so far.

Unlike with the first generation Auris, where there was a definite and recognisable facelift in 2010, the second generation Yaris had more subtle improvements in 2009. This was when the 1.33 engine/six speed transmission and Optimal Drive were introduced from February, with trim adjustments occuring later in the year. See http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/yaris-2006/?section=history

Thanks Frosty and Cyker. Off to have a read.

Hi jstallan,

From what I recall, the Yaris mk 2 had its major facelift in 2009 which saw the Optimal Drive tag take off. Facelift involved new bumpers, headlights, LED brake lights, darker interior, initially steel wheels (before they got a new alloy wheel design) & the 1.33 litre engine plus 6 speed gearboxes on the 1.33 and the 1.4 D-4D engines. The TR spec retained the digital dash from the phase 1 cars. (One of mine is a 58 reg TR phase 1).

For 2010, they changed again with new alloys on the TR cars, ivory or white satin effect external door handles, a lighter grille and the analogue dashboard (with the dials backlit in amber - other controls are backlit in amber when headlights are turned on). Later in 2010 they reverted back to the darker grille & colour-coded door handles on TR cars. The T Spirit came back in 2011. (My other Yaris is a 60 reg TR phase 2).

Hope this helps . .

Thanks Adam - it does and explains , when looking at cars 2009/2010 year, why the dashboard changes so much. Since you have both the 1.3 and 1.33 engine versions what is your preference and why ?

I had seen a 2011 1.33 T-Spirit with 22k miles for a shade under £7k which I thought was a decent price, downside is that it's about 250 miles+ from where I live and I'm not sure my wife would get on with the push button start (I have this on my mondeo).House renovation might also reduce the funds available!

Hmmm . . . out of the two, the 1.3 feels more nippy (and on paper, 0-60 is 0.2 of a second faster) as the throttle pedal feels it needs less travel, but the 1.33 is no slouch. 1.33 sounds better (what sound it makes, this engine is really quiet) and is more efficient, though the MPG readouts from both cars were very similar before the 1.33 became a learner car. I'd say the 1.33 is the one to have as it is more efficient though I love my 1.3.

Was this 2011 T-Spirit at a dealership? Usually if it is, you can have it brought to your local dealership (for a fee) so you can have a look at it & test drive.

Can I add my six penneth worth?

I have just purchased a T Spirit 1.33, 11 plate and with 18000 on the clock. I paid £6800 from a dealership which was a pretty good price. The dealership was having a "pre Christmas sale", I absolutely love it, much nippier than my 998cc 05 plate Yaris (though I still miss that car). The stop start took a while to get used to but it really is great, just pop it into neutral, put the hand break on and take my foot off the accelerator and bobs your uncle. It can be a bit temperamental at times

The sat nav is pretty good addition, no circle marks on my windscreen and as a community nurse I use my sat nav a lot. I much prefer the dial to the digital readout.

As regards the stop start, there are several factors which affect whether or not it operates - and this may be why it appears temperamental. Factors which may prevent stop start operating include:

- temperatures below approx 4 degrees centigrade

- the Battery needs to be fully charged (especially if car used for mainly short journeys)

- if the car has a heavy electrical on (ie. air conditioning on, heated rear window/heater/audio all on, etc)

Hmmm . . . out of the two, the 1.3 feels more nippy (and on paper, 0-60 is 0.2 of a second faster) as the throttle pedal feels it needs less travel, but the 1.33 is no slouch. 1.33 sounds better (what sound it makes, this engine is really quiet) and is more efficient, though the MPG readouts from both cars were very similar before the 1.33 became a learner car. I'd say the 1.33 is the one to have as it is more efficient though I love my 1.3.

Was this 2011 T-Spirit at a dealership? Usually if it is, you can have it brought to your local dealership (for a fee) so you can have a look at it & test drive.

The 2011 T-Spirit was a private sale in Autotrader

Can I add my six penneth worth?

I have just purchased a T Spirit 1.33, 11 plate and with 18000 on the clock. I paid £6800 from a dealership which was a pretty good price. The dealership was having a "pre Christmas sale", I absolutely love it, much nippier than my 998cc 05 plate Yaris (though I still miss that car). The stop start took a while to get used to but it really is great, just pop it into neutral, put the hand break on and take my foot off the accelerator and bobs your uncle. It can be a bit temperamental at times

The sat nav is pretty good addition, no circle marks on my windscreen and as a community nurse I use my sat nav a lot. I much prefer the dial to the digital readout.

That sounds like a good deal! Did you trade in the old Yaris? I think the T-Spirit has too many bells and whistles on for our needs and although I haven't seen/tried the Toyota version, keyless start can be a right pain at times (I have it in my Ford)

Yes, I part exchanged my 05 plate yaris. This brought the price down to £5000. I don't have keyless start, mine is second generation, not third. Absolutely love the car.

That's a shame, jstallan, mind there's a few around. I saw a Decuma Grey version at my local dealer (Lancaster Durham) the other day.

Looks a really good car in your pic, louise74, I've seen loads of red ones identical to yours floating around the Durham areas. Very good deal too, well done!

Thanks I got mine from Lancaster, Wearside. It's a fab little car, certainly much comfier to drive and, being vertically challenged being able to raise the seat up is a great bonus. There's nothing much not to love. It has a couple of minor parking scrapes and a small dint, which is barely noticeable over the back wheel arch. But all in all, it's in great condition and a joy to drive. I find myself driving the very long way round to home as it's such fun to drive

That's what I always do - the long way home! Just love 'em so much you can't just do the 'A-B' journey. As for the minor scrapes, I'd recommend getting a quote from the friendly chaps at Chips Away, they were fab when my 58 reg got vandalised & a LOT cheaper than the approved bodyshop at that dealership. They even fixed dents that were barely noticeable. I'm about to quote with them again about a kerbed alloy on the 60 reg car

Hah! I thought it was just me that did stuff like that! :lol: I do like just driving around randomly in my Yaris; Not something I ever entertained in my old crappy Fiesta!

Plus it's a nice feeling when you can take the 'scenic route' and not worry about things like fuel :thumbsup:

It must just be a Yaris thing, Cyker. We know how to enjoy our cars