Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Connecting A Usb Adapter To Original Car Stereo

chana100red

Hi,

I own an Avensis T4 on a 2004 model and currently have a tape and cd along with a sat nav, all standard with the car.

My question is has anyone fitted a device where I am able to access usb, aux and sd card from a single device which can be connected to the original stereo of the car?

There are a few I have seen on the market and really unsure on how to go about geting one or simply choosing the right one?

Thanks,

Dipak

Xcarlink and Connects2 have been fitted by forum members previously - try doing a forum search for either

• Like 1

There are a few devices out there; Quite expensive for what they are but will work with the existing stereo gear and, unlike a whole replacement headunit (Which are often cheaper!), will still work with e.g. steering wheel controls.

In all cases, they connect via the CD Changer port so if you have a CD Changer you will need to remove it.

I have one in my Yaris made by xcarlink (www.xcarlink.co.uk) - Supports SDHC cards, USB and AUX in and can play MP3 and WMA. Works okay, although doesn't display track info (A limit of my Yaris' radio sadly) and the folder sorting is a bit weird and random. The return policy is quite good and generally hassle free.

Other makes include Connects2 (www.connects2.co.uk) and Grom (gromaudio.co.uk)

The Grom is probably the best of the three as it supports the most music formats and you can also control it with your phone apparently (??), plus theybother to release firmware updates unlike xcarlink and 2connects, but it is also the most expensive of the three.

The Connects2 and Xcarlink ones appear to be virtually identical, although the reason I went for the xcarlink was that there were reports that the Connects2 had noise/static issues, but they would hopefully have sorted that out by now (They've had enough years!).

One thing tho' - Before ordering, make sure you know what type of plug your CD Changer port is as there are 2 types (A 'big' plug that is 5/7 pins and a small plug which is 6/6 pins), and also see if the socket is free or whether there is a cable already in - If there is (Usually a plug with only 2 wires for what I assume is CAN-BUS loopback) you will need a Y-Splitter cable of the appropriate plug type.

I didn't know about that so tried just leaving the 2-pin cable unplugged, but then everything in the centre console stopped working, so the Y-splitter is needed unless the headunit has an unused CD Changer socket :lol:

They used to be a total PITA to source but I know at least xcarlink sells them as I nagged them about it until they got them in. You can also buy them from Toyota but I can't remember the part number - It'll be in an old thread about xcarlink stuff from years ago so some search-fu with terms like xcarlink and yaris should find it.

Kingo might be able to find out quicker too as I'm sure he'll be happy to sell one ;)

Edit: 2Connects -> Connects2

• Like 1

"Other makes include 2Connects (www.2connects.co.uk) ...."

Think the above should be http://www.connects2.co.uk/

Based in Tipton (Black Country).

Ah yer right; Not sure why I kept putting the 2 before the connects there! :lol:

Xcarlink and Connects2 have been fitted by forum members previously - try doing a forum search for either

Thanks frostyballs - appreciate the help...

There are a few devices out there; Quite expensive for what they are but will work with the existing stereo gear and, unlike a whole replacement headunit (Which are often cheaper!), will still work with e.g. steering wheel controls.

In all cases, they connect via the CD Changer port so if you have a CD Changer you will need to remove it.

I have one in my Yaris made by xcarlink (www.xcarlink.co.uk) - Supports SDHC cards, USB and AUX in and can play MP3 and WMA. Works okay, although doesn't display track info (A limit of my Yaris' radio sadly) and the folder sorting is a bit weird and random. The return policy is quite good and generally hassle free.

Other makes include Connects2 (www.connects2.co.uk) and Grom (gromaudio.co.uk)

The Grom is probably the best of the three as it supports the most music formats and you can also control it with your phone apparently (??), plus theybother to release firmware updates unlike xcarlink and 2connects, but it is also the most expensive of the three.

The Connects2 and Xcarlink ones appear to be virtually identical, although the reason I went for the xcarlink was that there were reports that the Connects2 had noise/static issues, but they would hopefully have sorted that out by now (They've had enough years!).

One thing tho' - Before ordering, make sure you know what type of plug your CD Changer port is as there are 2 types (A 'big' plug that is 5/7 pins and a small plug which is 6/6 pins), and also see if the socket is free or whether there is a cable already in - If there is (Usually a plug with only 2 wires for what I assume is CAN-BUS loopback) you will need a Y-Splitter cable of the appropriate plug type.

I didn't know about that so tried just leaving the 2-pin cable unplugged, but then everything in the centre console stopped working, so the Y-splitter is needed unless the headunit has an unused CD Changer socket :lol:

They used to be a total PITA to source but I know at least xcarlink sells them as I nagged them about it until they got them in. You can also buy them from Toyota but I can't remember the part number - It'll be in an old thread about xcarlink stuff from years ago so some search-fu with terms like xcarlink and yaris should find it.

Kingo might be able to find out quicker too as I'm sure he'll be happy to sell one ;)

Edit: 2Connects -> Connects2

wow - thank you for the detailed response and nice to have some help from you guys and really appreciate it...i will remove the stereo and check what is connected at the moment and take a pic of it on my phone so I can keep in mind...perhaps forward it onto the suppliers to see what is required.

Again, thank you and shall use your information in ordering my kit.

cheers..

No prob; Let us know how you get on! :)

hi Guys,

I have removed the headunit to see what available connections I had to fit my usb device. I have taken a few camera shots of the headunit and hoping you guys can point me in the right direction on what additional cables I need to purchase.

Many Thanks

Dipak

post-136821-0-14775600-1388931093_thumb.

post-136821-0-09974500-1388931117_thumb.

post-136821-0-02324000-1388931130_thumb.

hi Guys,

I have removed the headunit to see what available connections I had to fit my usb device. I have taken a few camera shots of the headunit and hoping you guys can point me in the right direction on what additional cables I need to purchase.

Many Thanks

Dipak

The loose cables you can see are not connected to anything and are left as they are so nothing has been pulled out.

Many thanks mate I will call the supplier and give him some idea on what I need, at least I have some knowledge now,

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys - finally decided to refit my old aftermarket stereo which I took out of the Nissan and bought a complete kit for £26.00 on eBay....

As the usb adapters are expensive for what they are - and dont actually display your music tracks, I opted for my old stereo.

Well it turned it pretty good and fitted the stereo and glad I did it. The only thing I forgot to attach is a Y- splitter so that I can operate the vol rocker and mode on my steering wheel - but I guess that is a minor fix.

Well here are some pics of what it looks like now....

thanks

post-136821-0-49866000-1390123519_thumb.

post-136821-0-61128000-1390123533_thumb.

post-136821-0-18541200-1390123549_thumb.

• Like 2

Hey guys - finally decided to refit my old aftermarket stereo which I took out of the Nissan and bought a complete kit for £26.00 on ebay....

As the usb adapters are expensive for what they are - and dont actually display your music tracks, I opted for my old stereo.

Well it turned it pretty good and fitted the stereo and glad I did it. The only thing I forgot to attach is a Y- splitter so that I can operate the vol rocker and mode on my steering wheel - but I guess that is a minor fix.

Well here are some pics of what it looks like now....

thanks

Great solution Dipak.

I think your option to use your aftermarket stereo, a good choice. With everything like the USB, SD card reader and bluetooth built in, you have the works.

Yes you have not connected the wheel controls, but I personally think you have gained more. There are a lot of affordable head units with all the features, but owners don't want to change, because they don't want to loose the use of the remote steering volume control.

And you kept costs down overall.

Well done.

Konrad

Dipak can you please post the link of the fitting kit you used. thanks

On a side note, I believe Connects2 make a box which will convert the signals from steering wheel controls to work with compatible aftermarket stereos.

Good job tho', looks very neat :)

I considered putting an aftermarket headunit in my Yaris originally but it's much more difficult to make it look as good because of the way everything is mounted :(

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, that looks remarkably like my xcarlink, even the connector sockets and positioning are identical!

Very good find!

(Now I feel like I might have paid over the odds for mine...! :unsure:)

Precious little info on it; I'd ask if the unit supports SDHC cards - If it's limited to 2GB SD cards (Non-HC ones) then I'd be more wary as that'd be an older model and is a bit buggy with things like multiple folders.

(This is assuming that it is the same as my xcarlinks, only rebranded tho'!)

• Like 1

Yes Cyker, they are very similar.

I have actual been to the vendor (located in Southfields, Wandsworth, London), and seen both devices from Xcarlink and Connects2. They look identical, but the Xcarlink also supplies the additional bluetooth module, which I bought via their eBay site (cheaper!). Then fitted the kit into my brothers Grand Scenic.

The main thing is the system integration, plus the fact you can access more music than the cd changer (unless the mp3 can be read off the cd). Plus you still have the steering controls.

Thank you cyker. Looks like I will have to sacrifice the sat nav.

"USB Interface Kit is compatabile with Toyota Yaris/Avensis/Corolla/Picnic/RAV4 12 pin Connector (6 + 6) Not Compatible with Navigation head unit in the following models:

• Toyota Yaris
  • Toyota Avensis
  • Toyota Corolla
  • Toyota Picnic
  • Toyota RAV4

I have a sat nav unit with my having the T spirit. connect 2 must connect to the same port as the sat nav voice does.

I wonder if there is a reason why you can't connect both via. the splitter cable...?

All these boxes just pretend to be multi-CD-changers on the CAN-bus so unless the nav system locks out the cd-changer part, I would have thought it would work :unsure:

I wonder if they'd be okay with you testing one...? :naughty:

(On a totally unrelated note, the xcarlink return policy is pretty good; When I ordered the wrong one for mine, they just took it back without any of the hassle I normally get when trying to return things. They didn't even ask why! Just gave me a ref number and the addr to send it back to! ;))