Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mfd Failure - Blank Screen

RainMan84

Hi,

I have a 57reg Prius and last Sunday when I started the car the MFD didn't show any image at all, nothing, no satnav no audio no climate, the steering controls works just fine. I have checked other forums and people are saying a replacement is around £3k!! The car is worth £4k....I have googled every single site in UK and couldn't find a replacement or someone to repair it.

I do have an appointment at a local Toyota dealer on Monday but I am hoping someone could give me an advice or something..

Thank you

Hi,

I have a 57reg Prius and last Sunday when I started the car the MFD didn't show any image at all, nothing, no satnav no audio no climate, the steering controls works just fine. I have checked other forums and people are saying a replacement is around £3k!! The car is worth £4k....I have googled every single site in UK and couldn't find a replacement or someone to repair it.

I do have an appointment at a local Toyota dealer on Monday but I am hoping someone could give me an advice or something..

Thank you

Hi,

I haven't heard of a MFD going US, so it is not a common fault.

If it does prove to be a dead MFD, I would explore the option of getting a replacement through the beaker network.. You should be able to pick a MFD for around £400 or less if you haggle.

I would say your car would be valued at closer to the £5,500 - £6,000 mark myself.

Hope it works out for you.

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for the quick response. I did find an MFD replacement in the US and it's around £3-400 but I still have to go to Toyota so they can test it, hoping there's just a fuse blown or the 12V Battery that needs replacement. The car has only 95k miles

If you could find an MFD w/nav it would be greatly appreciated, either way I will let you know what Toyota mechanics are saying about this issue on Monday

Thanks

I did find an MFD replacement in the US and it's around £3-400

I'd advise you to try and source it through a UK breaker though. Less likelihood of compatibility problems.

I'll ask the silly question - has someone turned off the display from the menu? To switch it back on, I think you need to press one of the buttons next to the display (possibly the Info button?). I don't know if the steering wheel buttons will actually switch a display back on that has been switched off??

The MFD used to have a high failure rate on the 2004-2005 model and to a lessor extent on the 2006-onwards model, which I believe was due to dry solder joints.

Hi timberwolf,

Not a silly question at all. I 'll have to be honest with you i don't even know how to turn it on/off and no one had access to the car. I tried the info button also the info+trip button (so i've seen in another discussion on priuschat).

I had a phone call today from one of the toyota mechanics telling this is their first case and that the car should be investigated thoroughly... I'm not quite sure what that means

After they inspect the car i will come back with a full report on the mfd and hopefully i'll sort things out

Thanks

Hi timberwolf,

Not a silly question at all. I 'll have to be honest with you i don't even know how to turn it on/off and no one had access to the car. I tried the info button also the info+trip button (so i've seen in another discussion on priuschat).

I had a phone call today from one of the toyota mechanics telling this is their first case and that the car should be investigated thoroughly... I'm not quite sure what that means

After they inspect the car i will come back with a full report on the mfd and hopefully i'll sort things out

Thanks

"this is their first case and that the car should be investigated thoroughly... " normally means that they honestly don't understand what the problem could be caused by but they will be incurring great cost by spending a long time trying various potential remedies. Perhaps it would be a good idea to ascertain who they will be expecting to foot the bill for their attempts to remedy the issue prior to letting them loose on your car.

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

sorry for the late reply. I went to Toyota, the replacement screen is £1,956.12 minus VAT and minus labour...

they've offered to repair it for £300 so let's hope for the best. So if anyone is having this kind of issue please look at the replacement cost

Thanks