Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Daytime Running Lights

Plodalong

Hi all. I have a 2011 Avensis which has the daytime running lights incorporated in the lamp units. They are 21/5w capless bulbs. 21w for DRL's and 5w for side lights. Both bulbs on both settings have suddenly failed to work. Usually they come on as soon as the engine is started on their brightest setting for DRL's and then dim when the side or headlamps come on. Any ideas why they are not working on either setting? The small led's around the front and side of the headlamp units are still working as normal and as far as I am aware are connected to these bulbs. Both bulbs are fine, not blown, but even tried new ones just in case, but nothing. The rear side lights and number plate bulbs work as they should so I know the switch is ok. Any help would be appreciated or its a trip to the main dealer.

Fuse?

I have looked long and hard but I cant any fuse that says DRL or front side lights

In my Auris the side lights are referred to as 'front position lights'.

I've just checked every fuse in that fuse box and none are blown. I've also checked the bulb holders and there is a 12v supply running to them but they simply will not light the bulbs. The bulbs work fine though when you give them a 12v supply directly. Maybe its the holders that are at fault or just one of them if they are wired in line? Its getting very confusing.

Very strange problem but the great thing is as your 2011 Avensis has 5 years warranty it looks like a trip to the dealers :-))

let us know the outcome.

Regards Pete.

Yes, you are quite right about the warranty, its just I don't like things beating me, especially when they appear to be so simple. Still, its booked in for this coming Wednesday at the main dealers now. I'll post the findings or solution on here. Its certainly got me intrigued.

• 1 month later...

Finally got the bottom of the running light issue. After the main dealer had fitted various electrical components without success they replaced the actual headlamp units, both of them, and problem solved. To this day they are still unsure as to the actual cause for the units to fail but touch wood, I have had no problems since. And the best bit is, it didn't cost me a penny. All carried out under warranty.

• 1 year later...

Hiya Tony, Had the same problem, which was resolved today by replacing the HL/Units.

Cheers

Glen

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links