Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid Excel - First Service

Aceshigh84

Well the car has hit 10k already and went for it's first service yesterday afternoon.

I have got the service plan so it was already paid for, but I did get a copy of the invoice, £87 exc. VAT for what amounts to a glorified oil and filter change, and a little bit of brake fluid because they said it was low.

I also asked about the spare wheel and I was told it will fit, but only at an angle and so I would lose boot space and the boot floor wouldn't sit properly and would wobble.

I have been told by parts department you can get a replacement panel that has a curved section to replace the one in the boot which allows the space saver to sit flat in the recess. However still waiting for it to appear after ordering it last week.

Well I hope they used the expensive 0w20 oil otherwise your mpg's will bomb and you'll be lucky to get over 60 mpg.

I could tell the wrong oil as the car was much much quieter first thing in a morning due to the thicker 5w30. The thinner 0w20 even when brand new, always made the car louder. A trade off for much better fuel economy. No point having an economical car capable of 75mpg when you skimp on the oil and only manage mid 50's (60 at a real push).

I hope they have used 0w20 too!

I confirmed that they would when I booked it in, again when I took it in, and made sure it was put on the copy of the invoice.

God help them if my mpg drops!

And I really wish I could see 75mpg, the car itself is only reading high 50's to low 60's so in real life... nowhere near 75!

And I really wish I could see 75mpg, the car itself is only reading high 50's to low 60's so in real life... nowhere near 75!

Mine is exactly the same, averages 56 MPG which I think is pretty good.

My car is due for it's first service soon, is there any way of ensuring the dealer will use 0w20 oil, and not a cheaper one?

I believe all you can do is confirm that the dealer will use the recommended grade and then stipulate that it is what you want, then ensure that it is written onto the invoice.

You would hope with all of that that you can then trust that it has been done properly, and if it ever turns out that different oil had been used, wipe the floor with them.

The short answer is No. As Toyota cannot insist a particular spec oil is used by dealers, the best you can do is stipulate the spec of oil at each point of contact when you have the car serviced, and/or have it written into your service plan, if you have one. But at the end of the day, it is not something you can really control.

Just contacted the dealer prior to booking my car in for it's first service to make sure they use 0w20 grade oil.

I received a very prompt reply informing me " we always use Mobil 1 0w20 fully synthetic, this is the best option, it is the correct grade and specification that is used from new at the factory, it also gives the best fuel economy and engine protection."

I feel reassured and I will book it in for it's service now.