Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Antifreeze Mixing - Red And Yellow

sceh

No wonder we have problems with any standards when all cars are made of the same materials but we have loads of different antifreeze.

So , I have a Yaris and just topped it up with yellow universal glycol antifreeze. Now I see predictions of doom from many quarters. Can someone tell me a) is it ok to fill a toyota with ordinary glycol antifreeze b) if not, what happens and then c)in words of one syllable explain?

thanks

No wonder we have problems with any standards when all cars are made of the same materials

Well, that's your problem there. All cars are NOT made of the same materials. The bulk of them are similar, but the little things - like the seals inside the engine for oil and coolant - are often quite different.

So one engine's 'good stuff' could be another one's poison and cause the seals to fail eventually. And don't even think of assuming that all engines from one manufacturer will use the same specs - different engines in the same car (even two petrol versions) may use different specs, so always check.

Also, what is commonly called antifreeze is these days in modern engines often a complex coolant. Using ordinary a/f or plain water can lead to overheating.

If your car is allergic to glycol you'd better drain and flush it, and put some right stuff in.

No wonder we have problems with any standards when all cars are made of the same materials

Well, that's your problem there. All cars are NOT made of the same materials. The bulk of them are similar, but the little things - like the seals inside the engine for oil and coolant - are often quite different.

So one engine's 'good stuff' could be another one's poison and cause the seals to fail eventually. And don't even think of assuming that all engines from one manufacturer will use the same specs - different engines in the same car (even two petrol versions) may use different specs, so always check.

Also, what is commonly called antifreeze is these days in modern engines often a complex coolant. Using ordinary a/f or plain water can lead to overheating.

If your car is allergic to glycol you'd better drain and flush it, and put some right stuff in.

Agree with the above. Antifreeze these days is a minefield with OAT technology, silicates, borates, you name it! Antifreeze protects the engine against freezing, to state the obvious, another very important function is the anti corrosion inhibitors. Mixing antifeeze can destroy them. Use the correct one for the car. If in any doubt go to the Comma Oils website and input your details for the correct information. I have been using their antifreeze for years and I I find it excellent. Remember, antifreeze is very cheap compared with a head gasket if said gasket corrodes due to lack of inhibitors. Not unknown!

Regards Geoff Peace.

The Toyota coolant recommended for my Auris is a long life coolant that is a non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrate and non-borate solution.

See from Halfords webpage they sell silicate antifreeze, non-silicate antifreeze, advanced antifreeze and coolant, and, antifreeze and coolant.

Halfords seem to recomment non-silicate for engines made after 1998. Halfords do an online check where you can input your registration number - see http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=antifreeze&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

So I'd check whether the anti-freeze you have is silicant or non-silicant. Using just antifreeze alone may not provide sufficient protection.

I live in France and Carrefour sell their own brand liquid which is yellow, glycol based and guaranteed to be compatible with all engines. They do't say it will gel or anything with other liquids and nor do they say to flush before either topping up or replacing. Thoughts? Is this a risk they are taking or are the many manufacturers with their own liquids (Toyota only being one) being overcautious? I doubt they do it for the money frankly since they can't sell enough.

If you are swapping like for like (draining Toyota fluid and refilling with Toyota fluid) then there is no reason to flush it out

These modern fluids are not just anti freeze as mentioned above, they are coolants which have a high boiling point and a low freezing point

The genuine Toyota coolant would probably only need changing once in its lifetime, so from a price point of view, I see very little reason to change from the genuine fluid, at least you have peace of mind that you are using the correct coolant

Kingo :thumbsup: