Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Folding Mirrors

tarquin

Yes Taz we have smart entry in the UK so with the key fob in your pocket, you simply walk up to the car and it recognises you and the interior light comes on ( if selected) and as you grip the handle the car unlocks. To lock the car there are 3 raised lines on the handle, you simply touch them and it locks

David

assuming that it's the same as my Avensis it's part of the Smart Entry & Smart Start system.

This is a video from Toyota Australia but it's essentially the same.

Yes Taz we have smart entry in the UK so with the key fob in your pocket, you simply walk up to the car and it recognises you and the interior light comes on ( if selected) and as you grip the handle the car unlocks. To lock the car there are 3 raised lines on the handle, you simply touch them and it locks

David

I have that function on mine due to the installation of the Advanced Keys keyless entry system. With the fob in my pocket the iQ will unlock when I'm withing three feet and lock as I walk away. We don't have the OEM smart entry as an option with Scion. I'm sure there would have been quite a few Scion owners who would have gladly paid extra for that feature.

Many thanks Heidfirst its a good video

Taz do you still have to use a key in the ignition

David

No David. With the keyless entry it also includes a push button start. Another option not offered on the Scion.

DSCN2226.jpg

Ok one more thing with theUK one, if you walk up to the car and touch the handle, the car unlocks, but if you decide not to open the door and walk away then in a few seconds it re-locks

But if you get out and walk away, it does't lock. You have to touch the handle to lock it

David

David

Are you intending to offer this as a retrofit kit as your light mod

How easy to wire up as really like this mod

Regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff

At present, the module requires 9 wires to be connected to the cars wiring loom. It also requirs a live Battery feed to be passed through the bulkhead. My friend in france has a different version which reduces the wire count to 4. But operates differently. It closes the mirrors when the door is locked, but they only open again when the ignition is switched on not when you unlock the door.

Both versions require skills in panel removable and wiring loom identification and soldering in enclosed spaces.

I doubt if a kit could be produced for easy general installation. I could do it for you if you really want one. Where abouts do you live Geoff

David

David

Many thanks bit too far away from you I'm afraid

I live near the old Rugby radio station ( you know it we'll !)

Many thanks though

Geoff

Thats a shame Geoff

Actually is it ok to pm you about something?

David

Ha Ha ha

See you still have to ( put a key in) in a conventional car. Effectively, its a simple push button to energise a 40A relay. You still have to turn the key off to stop the engine.

Of course you could have sent it to me with tongue in cheek🚗

David

Geoff

I have come up with an idea. There is another model of the one i installed which requires only 2 wires to be connected. Would you or someone you know be able to undo a couple of 10mm bolts at the bottom of the panel where your knees are and then connect to wires if i give you all the info you need and telephone support

David

I would like to express a warm thank you to David, who really helped me a lot for the installation of my mirror kit.

Thanks to its excellent explanations and photos, I was able to connect the device in less than a quarter of an hour.

Also, it must be noticed that it is compatible with my other device (automatic door locking at 10 mph):

Fortunately it does not fold the mirrors as long as the engine is running...

• Like 2

Many Thanks Christophe

Also to mention that with the kit installed, you still have the same functionality with the manual controls as you did before the install.

The difference between Christophe's module and mine is that he's is partly plug & play requiring only 2 wires to install which is easily achieved. Mine on the other hand comes naked with no in-line connectors, hence no plug &play. Requiring 9 wires to connect.

The operational difference is mine opens the mirrors when the key fob or the door is opened, whereas Christophe's one only opens the mirrors when the ignition is switched on. As Christophe pointed out to me, he's version saves wear and tear if you unlock the door to get something or just want to sit in your car then the mirrors stay closed.

You can do the same with mine by leaving a connection off, it then goes into smart mode and does the same as Christophe's version.

Christophe's version lends itself to be made into a kit for the DIY person

David

• 1 month later...

David, I fitted the unit you have used on a new shape kia sportage. I have a spare unit as a friend wanted one fitting but changed car.

I intend using the unit I have on the iq. Do you have details of wire colours and location for the iq. The difference on the sportage was that the mirror controls and door locking were all in the door armrest so all the wiring and the module remained in the door area.

As I recall it there was something like

Live

Earth

Door lock/unlock

Door unlock

4x wires to splice into the mirror fold/unfold feeds

I don't know whether you have seen the plug and play one on eBay at £49 that one has the option of mirror unfold on opening or on ign/acc. It looks like that one will be simpler to fit and avoid having to get behind the door trim

Hi Ashton

I have encountered 2 versions 1 (which i have installed into 2 iQ's) has nine wires, this is because if you still want to keep the origanal functionality of the original switch you have to break into the wiring connector at the rear of the switch. This version operates when you unlock the car by touching the door handle or by fob, the mirrors open and close when locked

2nd version and by far the simplest, has a plug and socket harness which goes in line with the original operating switch leaving only 2 wires to connect. 1, permenant live 2, lock wire. Note no unlock wire. This is because this version dosen't open the mirrors when the car is unlocked, only when the ignition is turned on but does fold the mirrors again when the car is locked.

There are 2 schools of thought on the operation. The nine wire option is nice as it does both, in that you can make it the same as the 2 wire option. The 2 wire option has the potential of saving the motor mechanism more because for instance, if you locked the car then had to re-visit it because you forgot something (coat) then you can ooen the doors without the need for the mirrors to deploy. Or if you visited the car to just sit in it. I have of course worked out the wiring for both versions. The 2 wire version is bespoke to Toyota because of the plug/socket wiring harness

David

Hi Ashton

On the iQ you only have to get behind the lower panel where your knee's are which is held by 2 x 10mm bolts and connect the lock wire to a wire under the triangle panel to the right of your foot. The live feed can be got from the back of the main display unit. Can give details if required

David

Thanks for your replies David. I have found this unit which seems to perhaps enable remote unfold and is still plug and play. It would seem that if you don't connect the green to the door unlock it will only unfold the mirror on ign but will work remotely if connected to door unlock.

I have messaged them to check it still allows normal use of mirror controls.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-2009-up-SCION-iQ-Electirc-Automatically-POWER-folding-mirror-control-box-/121316228194?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c3f02bc62

It was a good question to ask. Yes the 2 control wires lock/un-lock are blue and green

If you want to know where i put them along with the permanent 12v, pm me with an email address

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links