Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Storing A Vehicle

Surfer01

We have a 1996 Toyota Corolla 1300 auto and want to store it for several months or possibily longer. The car has 98000 miles on the clock with the last service about 3500 miles ago or Feb 2013.

It will be put into a lock up garage. Although it will have a SORN, we have the facility to take it out about once a month to run the engine without going on a public road.

Is there anything we should be doing to the car when going intio storage as taking off the wheels is not an option? We don't want to sell it as it is in very good condition with a full dealer service history.

Don't think there'd be anything unusual; Just the usual long-term storage issues (Slight flat-spotting of the tyres, brakes binding slightly, spiders and such taking up residence, Battery going flat etc.)

Over inflate the tyres a little to reduce the risk of flat spots, good coolant in the cooling system, park with handbrake off, remove Battery and keep on a trickle charger.

If you run the engine for long enough to charge the Battery and move the car to avoid flats there's not much problem with what you plan as it is. The above suggestions are more for a completely static store.

If it will be more than a few months it might be worth putting some fuel stabiliser in with some fresh fuel at the start of the store regardless of whether it will be run or not.

Thanks for the above advice. I must admit I have never heard of a fuel stabiliser. What is this as we were thinking of the vehicle being stored with at least 1/2 tank of fuel (petrol) to avoid any water condensation issues?

Thanks for the above advice. I must admit I have never heard of a fuel stabiliser. What is this as we were thinking of the vehicle being stored with at least 1/2 tank of fuel (petrol) to avoid any water condensation issues?

Eg: "Prevents Fuel Degradation During Storage that causes Gum and Varnish Deposits".

Just search for "fuel stabiliser" in eBay and it turns up a good selection (the stuff in bottles, not the wiry things).

I use it for spare fuel I keep in a can for tanker driver disputes. Can't recall which I'm afraid and it's not to hand.

Or fill it with v-power and avoid anything with bioethanol in it as it has a poor 'use-by' date and breaks down faster than petrol/diesel. Also, and I don't know if this applies to petrol, but I've been told if I was to leave my diesel yaris for a while, I should brim the tank, as with a half-filled tank, some condensation can form a layer of water that floats on top of the diesel and algae can start to grow in it.