Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Winter Driving Without Esp And Traction Control

TwNewcastle

As far as I know my 1.6 tr 2011 does not have traction control or ESP

Is this likley to cause problems in snow etc

Be interested to know what similar owners have experienced

Vehicle Stability Control (Toyota's version of ESP) and traction control were optional on the first generation Auris at grades below the T180/SR180.

Don't think the option was actually ordered very often ....

Haven't had any particular problems driving either of my 1.33's in the snow (both without VSC/traction control), and that is using summer tyres. As with any car, sensible use of the accelerator, brakes and gears will get you through most of the time.

We did have a Mazda Premacy with standard traction control, and that was really good in slippery conditions - but again subject to sensible use of the accelerator, brakes and gears.

Our 2012 Hyundai i20 has ESP, and we have noticed that operating occasionally in bad weather - again on summer tyres. The i20 appears not to be substantially better or worse than the Auris - though the extra weight of the Auris helps (around 200kg heavier than the i20).

I'm running 225/45/17 winter tyres on my Auris but it has VSC. The light will only illuminate and vsc or tc will only kick in if i do something abrupt which is rare in the snow as i'm reading the road ahead as much as possible.

I was driving my vw Passat 4 years , in every winter, without ESP. Just winter tyres. No problem ever. Just drive safety as for winter season :drunk:

I was driving my vw Passat 4 years , in every winter, without ESP. Just winter tyres. No problem ever. Just drive safety as for winter season :drunk:

You should try driving an Opel/Vauxhall Omega Estate on summer tyres in the Winter - much more entertaining ... :Jumpy:

Before these electronic aids and winter tyres were introduced I, and many others, drove cars in the snow and ice without any problems. Modern technological cars have made younger drivers feel immune to driving hazards which in turn has left them lacking in basic driving skills. For sure theses technologies and winter tyres Improve things but a lot of it is marketing hype. If you need to drive in snow and ice just use some common sense, the most common cause of loss of control in such conditions are down to driving too fast for the conditions and/or course steering and braking.

To get back to the OP's question it is generally thought best to turn them off if driving in deep snow.

• Like 1

I had a Nissan Note with traction control. And when I got stuck in some serious snow I had to turn it off, as the car wouldn't let me go anywhere. And before then it rarely kicked in unless I was feeling a bit adventurous (im 22). I haven't had any problem with my 2.0 diesel (when I got used to the extra torque). I think it's just extra weight that isn't really needed (as people above have said) if your being sensible.

• 2 weeks later...

ESP and TC are more of a hindrance than help in adverse weather.

I have neither on my 2 Land Rovers and am yet to come across an occasion where I've thought I wish I had something that limits the power...... Oh I have one anyway its called the throttle pedal.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links