Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Integrated Dab Into Your Toyota Prius

JustCONNECT

Hi All,

Just to keep you all in the loop on new products.

We have just released our new steering wheel interface for the Toyota Prias with factory USB Media input.

Our customers are very happy with the product and the functions over and above the other products on the market.

For the price of £239 which includes full fitting and antenna supply. Its very competitive price with full control and connectivity.

Cheers

Jono

I think he means it works with the existing buttons - channel up/down, mode switch....

Hi All,

The USB will be in your centre arm rest.

We plug into here and with our JustDrive kit simulate a USB drive.

This puts all info on the display and allows you to control via the steering wheel and touch screen.

Cheers

Jjono

With DAB integration, is it future proof to allow for updating to DAB+?

The reason I ask is that standard DAB is only used in a handful of Countries and is obsolete being dropped by other Countries left right and centre. It also pretty much useless unless you happen to live in one of the main 10 cities in the UK. It is only a matter of time before the BBC pull the plug on DAB UK and at least introduce DAB+ or maybe stick with fm which suits most people absolutely fine.

People argue that car manufacturers should offer DAB, but I'd rather stick with fm until the World Wide digital radio is standardised - and thus brings down costs. Digital radios are ridiculously expensive for what you get.

I'm not anti progress - I drive a Prius :)

Hi,

You are in sum way correct with this post, our Kit is the DAB+ so should be ok for most.

My way of thinking is not to really say that FM will be redundant or that even when the people that can do turn to digital. But with Digital radio in your car the amount of stations and content that is more directed to what you want. If you like the sport or say 60s / 70s music.

Cheers

Jono

Hi,

You are in sum way correct with this post, our Kit is the DAB+ so should be ok for most.

My way of thinking is not to really say that FM will be redundant or that even when the people that can do turn to digital. But with Digital radio in your car the amount of stations and content that is more directed to what you want. If you like the sport or say 60s / 70s music.

Cheers

Jono

I know we digress from the topic, but DAB sounds good in theory but in practice is turning out to be a dud, unless you live in a major city. I live in a town of 120,000 only 10 miles from Leeds, yet still can't receive DAB over 10 years after it was released. FM on the other hand works fine. Even in 'not spots' it still works with hiss, whereas DAB if I remember from using it in Leeds, breaks up worse than a mobile phone in a dodgy area, ruining any listening pleasure. I bought one for my dad when they first came out. It still doesn't work 10 years later. What a waste.

DAB+ however, uses better encryption and apparently holds a weaker signal for longer and for further and allows more channels in the same bandwidth. Until the UK adopts DAB+ (like most of Europe, Asia and Australia have), then I won't pay extra for the older tech DAB. Especially not at the cost of the upgrade.

Perhaps that's why car manufacturers are not rolling it out as quickly as hoped? If it worked, I'd have it in a flash.

The DAB+ situation is a bit muddy; Originally the government pretty much banned DAB+ from this country for reasons that made no sense (So the usual way the government does stuff!), which is why DAB takeup is so low (non-plus DAB is terrible, esp. in a car!), but apparently ofcom were doing some trials with DAB+ so maybe they are going to overturn that stupid decision and start rolling out DAB+.

The 2 biggest advantages of DAB+ is that it has better doppler compensation and error correction (Holds a signal better when moving at speed) and supports AAC audio encoding (Much higher quality sound).

Almost all DAB equipment in this country apart from really early stuff supports DAB+ anyway so only the early adopters would get screwed (But frankly if you could drop £100 on a first-gen DAB radio I don't think upgrading would be a problem...! :lol:)

• 1 year later...

Sounds like a useful unit.

If my vehicle doesn't have a USB socket - do the fitters install one?

It depends which system you get; The main system they were selling connected using FM and used RDS to display data like the DAB channel name etc.

The one the OP mentions above seems to simulate a USB stick to display DAB channel info and I suspect is specific to certain vehicles (I doubt it would work in my Mk1 Yaris :lol:)

If you're just after a USB socket and your car doesn't have one, you're usually stuck with getting an add-on box from e.g. xcarlink, 2connects or gromaudio that plugs into the CD Changer port of the existing system and provides some combination of AUX, USB, iPod and SDcard connections.

It depends which system you get; The main system they were selling connected using FM and used RDS to display data like the DAB channel name etc.

The one the OP mentions above seems to simulate a USB stick to display DAB channel info and I suspect is specific to certain vehicles (I doubt it would work in my Mk1 Yaris :lol:)

If you're just after a USB socket and your car doesn't have one, you're usually stuck with getting an add-on box from e.g. xcarlink, 2connects or gromaudio that plugs into the CD Changer port of the existing system and provides some combination of AUX, USB, iPod and SDcard connections.

Think I'll install a DAB unit with a USB connection in that case. That way I won't require an expander for FM frequencies and I can utilise the my tracks using the USB.