Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Light And Loud Engine Noise

ianopacino

Hi All

I'm new here. My wife's car is a 2004 1.6 petrol Avensis. The following has happened three times in the past month. She has a 50 minute commute to work and approx. 50 mins in the oil light comes on and the engine sounds (in her words) like a tractor!.

She turned off car and back on and it was gone. I borrowed a ODB reader and no error codes are stored. I drove the car for an hour last night and it was fine. 40 minutes this morning and it ok again. Oil levels are fine and the car was serviced after it first happened.

Any ideas?

Thank you

I'd be tempted to run an engine flush through the system for a few minutes before some fresh 5W30 is used. Needs sorting sooner rather than later, otherwise a rebuild will be needed.

Thanks for the advice, Engine flush completed today and new 5w30 in it...fingers crossed.

Years ago I had similar with a Rover 416. There was an oil strainer in the sump which was blocked thus not allowing the oil to circulate/be pumped around. Not sure if the Avensis had similar but flushing it is a good place to start. How was the oil that came out?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links