Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis T180 Letting Out Excessive White Smoke...

Adeel_Ali

Hi guys, as the title says.. i've noticed an excessive amount of white smoke come out through the exhaust whilst accelerating... especially in lower gears and high revs... the car had a full+ service at Toyota Sidcup just a month ago, and no issues were mentioned then... any ideas???

it's not just the DPF regenerating?

How is coolant level?

Possible head gasket :dontgetit: - thats exactly what mine done before the engine was replaced. As said, is it loosing much coolant? I havent noticed the D-CAT regenerating or any white smoke after the engine replacement and ive been checking.

Hope you get sorted and keep us posted!

There is a technical service bulletin from Toyota reference EG-0004T-0110-EN which states;

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON
Some customers may explain about white smoke from the exhaust. Auris, Avensis, Verso & Rav4 equipped DPNR equipped vehicles only!
PRODUCTION CHANGE
The ECU software has been improved
The bulletin describes a diagnosis process checking: Stored fault codes, 5th injector operation, inspection of intake/exhaust for air leaks, Calculation MAF information, Cleaning/Clearing EGR & intake manifold of carbon, Reprogramming of the engine ECU with updated software and finally a confirmation of DPNR operation.
Usually the issue is fixed with the ECU reprogramme

There is a technical service bulletin from Toyota reference EG-0004T-0110-EN which states;

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON
Some customers may explain about white smoke from the exhaust. Auris, Avensis, Verso & Rav4 equipped DPNR equipped vehicles only!
PRODUCTION CHANGE
The ECU software has been improved
The bulletin describes a diagnosis process checking: Stored fault codes, 5th injector operation, inspection of intake/exhaust for air leaks, Calculation MAF information, Cleaning/Clearing EGR & intake manifold of carbon, Reprogramming of the engine ECU with updated software and finally a confirmation of DPNR operation.
Usually the issue is fixed with the ECU reprogramme

Actually now you mention it the mechanic mentioned that the latest software update was put on my car when in for its engine replacement - hopefully thats all what is needed here.

Checked coolant level.. and yes it has dropped significantly since it was topped last month... its just hitting low at the moment....

sounds like your head gasket may be going although it could be another issue like a weeping water pump causing the coolant to fall.

Unfortunately your car is outside the conditions (7 years/112,000 miles) for the additional warranty that Toyota extended for this issue so it could get expensive.