Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight Condensation

gazza1286

Hi

I have a 2008 Avensis TR 1.8 and have just noticed that the nearside headlight lens is full of condensation. Reading the forums seems to indicate that this was a known problem with the vehicle.

See:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/24221-headlights/page-7

Speaking to Toyota they say that the issue was with vehicles up to around 2006 when the headlight unit was redesigned. Their service department suggest that the current advice from Toyota GB is to replace the entire unit for the later cars i.e. mine.

I've yet to tackle the problem - going to leave it until the weather is brighter - but can anyone, a Toyota Technician maybe, confirm that what I've been told is correct. The link above makes reference to a fix which entails drilling holes in the casing to allow the moist air to escape - does this apply to the 2008 vehicle?

Any advice gratefully accepted

Check that the fitted caps which close the backs of the headlamps are seated correctly as if they are loose then the lamps get condensated quickly.

The early lamps fitted to MK2 Avensis had an issue where the plastic lamp reflectors melted around the bulbs this along with poorly designed caps made the lamps prone to condensate, the factory fix was to make the lamp reflector out of metal and redesign the cap this was done late 2005 early 2006.

Toyota state that condensation which clears in the beam area after 20 minutes with the headlamps on is normal, if however condensation remains in the beam area then the lamp is faulty.

Thanks for the reply.

Can all of this be accessed easily? What about removing the headlight fitting itself?

When I spoke to the parts guy at Toyota over the phone he said it was awkward and that the bumper needs to come off?

Is he correct?

(The service staff wouldn't give any advice and kept repeating their mantra "When can you bring it in? ...... We can look at it for you" - If they werealso saying that Toyota's advice was to replace the entire unit, what would have been the point of that!)

I had a Honda Accord with steamed up headlights. I removed the rubber covers from the back and gave it a day or two to dry out then refitted them. No further problem. Maybe worth a try?

That sounds like a plan! All of the light fittings/wiring and bulbs seem accessible once the Battery is removed. We have had really heavy rain recently so that may have been the cause.

The two main caps were correctly seated - no sign that these are the cause of the leak. Nothing obvious on the joint between the lense and the casing. If this is the problem I would expect to see a feint trace of mould where the seal had failed. But mould wouldn't grow in these temperatures.

Drilling a vapour release in the casing also looks like a possibility should the problem reoccur. No sure where this should be. I'll need to source a suitable rubber bung/grommet before I get the drill out!

Just need a dry day - maybe in the spring.

When I spoke to the parts guy at Toyota over the phone he said it was awkward and that the bumper needs to come off?

Is he correct?

Yes. Although you can faff around, it is much easier to do with the bumper off, which comes off very easily BTW

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks for that - any hidden fixings?

The rear bumper is so badly designed to the extent that the Toyota body shop wrecked the bumper mouldings designed to clip around the trailing edge of the wheel arch. It took me ages to repair this with cable ties after having to drill through the plastic body bumper mounts. I don't want to be faced with this again.

Is the procedure covered in the downloadable workshop manual? Will the alignment of the headlight be affected by removal?

Thanks for that - any hidden fixings?

The rear bumper is so badly designed to the extent that the Toyota body shop wrecked the bumper mouldings designed to clip around the trailing edge of the wheel arch. It took me ages to repair this with cable ties after having to drill through the plastic body bumper mounts. I don't want to be faced with this again.

Is the procedure covered in the downloadable workshop manual? Will the alignment of the headlight be affected by removal?

Gary,

Its all in this pdf mate and quite easy BUT you CAN get the headlights out by just undoing the top part of the bumper assembly near to the radiator and just the sides where it meets the wings leaving the bottom attached as this is the hard bit. It would be better if 2 people did it, one to support the bumper assembly whilst the other removes the headlights as the bumper moves out of the way and forwards. Whilst you are sorting the lights just support the bumper with some cord etc. Get the wifes hair dryer out to dry out the condensation but don't use a hot air gun it may be too hot, make sure all is nicely sealed then reassemble, it's all in the pdf.

Regards Pete.

EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR TRIM.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for the pdf - I can tackle the job with some confidence now.

Couple of observations from personal experience.

1. hair dryers on hot over power headlight plastic and melt it nicely. If you must use heat use a low setting and be patient. I was impatient. Still am.

2. If you do remove the rubber seals do not drive with them off. Even if it isn't raining when you set off it soon will do and then even more water gets into the lights

Just call me lucky and, no, I don't do the lottery......