Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Boot Lid Opens While Driving

tobiasdog

Hi there, my 2006 avensis saloon boot lid opens when I drive over a bump or when I unlock the car from the remote. However, if I have the doors locked when driving, this does not happen.

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks

Allan

This must be an issue with the release catch on the tailgate/lid. It must require lubrication. Does boot lever have a 'hair trigger' feel to it when you open the boot using it? Compare it to a similar vehicle (passerby or forecourt). I'd be tempted to dismantle an rebuild the assembly - both the handle and lock. It's possible that the striker hoop may have shifted slightly through usage. I think it will be a mechanical fault as opossed to anything else.

Thank you, I will try the lubrication and also see if the lock is out of alignment.

Allan

• 3 months later...

:dontgetit: hi guys.

just read your article. I have a 52 plate 2.2 avensis. I too have a squeeking tailgate .I have noticed when I use the remote I can see the lock moving

slightly . could this also be out of alignment, and how difficult is it to rectify..

Does it open when going over a bump or is it just slack on the catch? If the latter you need to reposition the hoop on the body frame. You need to remove the trim to get access to the adjuster screws. If they are the Philips type screw heads you must use an impact screwdriver. Otherwise a star bit on a 1/4

wrench will do.

The lock mechanism is held onto the tailgate by a single nut which holds a tab on the barrel - it may have worked koose. The trim just pulls off - the hand holes generally have grub screws which must be removed first.

hi gazza...

thanks for feedback, spent three hours[with coffee breaks] ha ha , checking every nut and bolt on the tailgate.. everything was nice and tight, even managed to break the star bit .

[ must have been cheap tack ].. did find a squeak from the high level break light assembly,, ie, the rubber skirt against the rear window.. cleaned the rubber and window and thought eureka

squeak fixed, after putting all back together off I went down the road and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SQUEEEEEEAK ...I thank you for your advice, we have at least eliminated one theory. So its back to the drawing board . will keep you informed ,

• 2 weeks later...

HI once again gazza.

spent more hours checking everything I could again. so anything that rattled or moved has now been secured incl wires and cables etc .. had onother look at the high stop light and did find that the lens moved inside its housing, so used sticky back foam to stop that . have put everything back together and will go for a run to see what happens next ,hopefuly all will be nice and quite,will let you know, bye for now ....

Have you tried repositioning the body frame hoop for the tailgate lock mechanism?