Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Not Starting

mrt1664

I have had a few issues starting my avensis 2005 2.2d4d

at first it would turn and turn sometimes flatten Battery to start this went on for a couple of weeks

then alternator light came on got alternator tested ...wasnt charging...took it to a garage what recons alternators got half way there and Battery went flat ..left it with garage he said he put car on charge and he got a flash and smoke from alternator and i wont run at all it will turn over fine untill Battery flattens tries trying to fire in but wont kick in changed fuel filter still the same ....had auto electrician look at it on computer fault came up but he cleared it ." Injector circuit open "code ? ...just tried starting today with easy start spray and it started but ignition key had to be kept in the start possition as soon as i let go of key it would stop can anyone give me some ideas

Can anyone help please or have i got to take it to mr toyota

Thanks but just cant understand why eventually it will run only when i have the key pressed in the start possition as soon as i release it it dies .....aaaarrrfgggghhhh cars who would have em think mr toyotas going to get a call

It sounds to me as though you have more than one problem there - certainly flash and smoke are not normal. Personally I wouldn't take it straight to Toyota - an experienced auto electrician will probably be more likely to find and fix the fault. Not because the Toyota guys are no good, just because an auto electrician is likely to have more experience in figuring out electrical problems - it is, after all, what they do.

I have had the injection system open system fault before - Toyota could not track it down but changing the fuel filter sorted it.

For now focus on getting the electrics sorted - they started all this.

Good luck.

Update auto electrician looked at it today fuses all ok fault code p0200 any clues

Well, if you have to leave your key in the start position (I'm assuming that means to make the starter motor turn) then I would say your ignition switch is faulty. That doesn't explain why your alternator flashed & smoked on charging though. Get the ignition switch checked out and then go from there.

Update auto electrician looked at it today fuses all ok fault code p0200 any clues

On my little code reader manual, P0200 = injector circuit malfunction.

If you Google the code or any other code, you will get the general answer. If you want a more detailed diagnostic, you will need a more advanced machine.

• 5 years later...

Hi there I’m having the same problem you had but mines on a rav4 d4d did I you ever find out what was wrong with your vehicle,it would really help 🖕🏻😊

If your car is running with the starter engaged, but dies when you release the key to the engine run position, then the ECU may not be getting the engine running signal. This could be a crankshaft sensor problem. Receiving the injector circuit code could indicate other problems, though.

I've got a very similar problem with my 2004 Yaris. Starts first time when cranked, and runs fine while being cranked. But stops as soon as I release the key. The problem started to happen a couple of months ago, and gradually got worse. Now its happening every time.

To make things worse, the diagnostics reader gives the error "The vehicle is not responding...." so no clue where the problem might be. 

The local Toyota garage wants £250 just to diagnose the problem.

4 minutes ago, pbas said:

I've got a very similar problem with my 2004 Yaris. Starts first time when cranked, and runs fine while being cranked. But stops as soon as I release the key. The problem started to happen a couple of months ago, and gradually got worse. Now its happening every time.

To make things worse, the diagnostics reader gives the error "The vehicle is not responding...." so no clue where the problem might be. 

The local Toyota garage wants £250 just to diagnose the problem.

Diagnostic is not working with ACC ON, or there are no stored codes ? What diagnostic are you using?

Im using the Carista OBD adapter and app (on android) to try and read the stored codes. This is with the ignition ON,

https://caristaapp.com/adapter

I can't be sure if there are any stored codes because, according to Carista, the vehicle is not responding. The app connects to the adapter ok, but fails to read the stored codes. 

I had the RAC out... they couldn't read the stored codes either, so may well be a problem with the car OBD. I tried the Carista OBD adapter on my Audi, and it read the stored codes without any problems.

In that case i would say it's the ECU. It's not that uncommon for one to die. Luckily they are cheap to buy used.

It could just be partly crashed. Try taking the Battery out and putting it on charge overnight and see if you can connect your adapter when you put the Battery back in.

• 3 years later...

Im gaving the same problem as original poster, did you ever figure it out? Please reply what you did to solve the problem

• 2 weeks later...

Fault was the Driver injector  module. Plug and play, no programming required