Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Pressures

Twang53

Hi Everyone.

I have a question about correct tyre pressure. My car is a 2011 T Spirit.

When you check and inflate your tyres, should you go by the amount of pressure for 2 people, or 4 people, or should you aim for in between the two? Any thoughts. How critical is it anyway?

I like to keep mine as close as possible to what the handbook says. At least between the two stated pressures.

Cheers.

Depends how often you have four people in the car. If it is every week, I would do the tyre pressures for four. Otherwise, do the pressures for two people,

We have four people for journeys in our car, twice a year!

Does your handbook give any tyre pressures under the heading 'Eco pressure'?

Regards Geoff Peace

Hi Frostyballs.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this. Basically, the reason I asked is because I've noticed that when I've had new tyres fitted,

the pressures aren't always the same as mine when I check them. They've tended to be higher 2-3psi than the recommended pressures on the sticker in the glove box, and I wondered why.

Factors affecting this include:

1. variances in equipment - tyre pressure equipment at service stations can be +/-10% out. For example - the tyre fitter's equipment could either be accurate or under-read, whereas your equipment could over-read.

2. I'm not convinced that tyre fitters put the correct pressure in for the appropriate size tyre - for example the 2006/11 Yaris can have one of four different tyre sizes, depending on engine and spec.

3. I'm also not sure whether the tyre pressure charts used by tyre fitters/garages use the same information as in owners manuals or the tyre info on cars.

I have never seen a tyre fitter consult any table !. 33-34psi seems a standard "blow it up" figure.

I always use the 2 inhabitants setting.. as my car has rarely more than two in it.

I think there is an industry standard chart for tyre pressures, as I often see one pinned up somewhere in the garage, but it's about 35psi for almost every size apart from vans and the more extreme low profiles so they rarely actually check it :lol:

• Like 1

I usually put mine close to the high ratings in the manual/on the sticker when cold, so usually set to 35psi front, 34psi rear, on both cars. I believe it helps them feel great on the road plus returning good fuel economy. Normally when I get them back from the dealer after a tyre change or puncture repair, they're really low, the minimum pressure in the handbook, so I take my Halfords Rapid Digital Tyre Inflator in the boot with me, and once I get the car back, take it over the road into the B&Q carpark and set the pressures to desired levels.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links